What is the system requriments for Freecad?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
irishartist

Re: What is the system requriments for Freecad?

Post by irishartist »

Thanks for the response. I checked out your link and tried to find an opengl driver. Downloaded the AMD Catalyst program which didn't do anything but load some strange utilities. Still getting the same DEP error.
Where can I find an opengl driver that works. It's very confusing.
I suppose I can keep trying.
Tried dropping opengl.dll into .bin but no joy.

Thanks again
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

Surprise, FreeCAD is available in the standard Raspbian repositories. Unfortunately, I have no real hardware to test FreeCAD.

The image shows FreeCAD running on the Qemu-ARM emulator.
Raspbian on Qemu install guide: http://www.linux-mitterteich.de/fileadm ... p_2013.pdf
To install FreeCAD:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install freecad
To install software rasterizer (hardware OpenGL is not available on Qemu):

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-swx11
The FreeCAD package is pretty old, because of Debian Wheezy release - upgrading to Jessie now...
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

kwahoo wrote:Surprise, FreeCAD is available in the standard Raspbian repositories. Unfortunately, I have no real hardware to test FreeCAD.

root@pi:~# apt-cache show freecad|head -n 3
Package: freecad
Version: 0.12.5284-dfsg-7
Architecture: armhf
I have real hardware. But it's still a pity. Either use the outdated 0.12, or set up a cross compile environment or wait three days an ruin a swap drive, by compiling on the real hardware.
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

Well, the biggest problem on the real hardware is lack of "desktop" OpenGL 2.0 implementation. VideoCore IV documentation has been released a while ago, maybe is it possible to write such implementation? Who knows... Freedreno team did it for Adreno.
BackEMF

Post by BackEMF »

shoogen wrote:
kwahoo wrote:Surprise, FreeCAD is available in the standard Raspbian repositories. Unfortunately, I have no real hardware to test FreeCAD.

root@pi:~# apt-cache show freecad|head -n 3
Package: freecad
Version: 0.12.5284-dfsg-7
Architecture: armhf
I have real hardware. But it's still a pity. Either use the outdated 0.12, or set up a cross compile environment or wait three days an ruin a swap drive, by compiling on the real hardware.
Makes me wonder about how it would run on a Allwinner chipset with that MALI400 GPU stuff