Wiki maintenance (Dec 2019)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki

Wiki maintenance (Dec 2019)

Postby kkremitzki » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:55 am

I was trying to do an upgrade to clear up things related to translation page moves failing, and the upgrade failed too. Per the MediaWiki docs:
If your database is already big and in high production usage, then you should not be using the Web updater, e.g. because the update process will time out when the maximum_execution_time is reached. In that case you should use update.php from the command-line interface (not from the web). What exactly is "too big" depends on your server (e.g. on its performance, the load and on how long the maximum execution time of PHP allows the script to run). If your wiki is too big for the web updater and your hosting provider does not allow command-line access, then you need to migrate your wiki to another hosting account, preferably to one that does have shell access.
Just a heads up that there may be some hiccups with thumbnails and such for a bit as recovery is underway.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1

Re: Wiki maintenance (Dec 2019)

Postby Kunda1 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks @kkremitzki!
This is an important step for FC's documentation. Once we move the wiki off the shared hosting we can potentially move forward past this bottleneck
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
bernd

Postby bernd » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:40 am

What does this mean? Should we move the wiki to another provider, or will the wiki be moved to another provider or is this just dome information?

bernd
kkremitzki

Postby kkremitzki » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:58 pm

Upgrading our MediaWiki version is no longer possible without shell access which our hosting provider does not offer. I am working on performing the move, which should have almost no impact to the end-user. The "almost" comes from a plan to move the wiki itself to be served on wiki.freecadweb.org, so that means freecadweb.org/wiki/... links will still work, but include a redirect. The reason for this is again because of limitations of our current provider: we can only change Apache settings with .htaccess files, which cannot be used to set up ProxyPass or ProxyPassReverse directives, so we would have to move everything at once if we didn't want to start redirecting freecadweb.org/{wiki,tracker} -> {wiki,tracker}.freecadweb.org.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.