Freecad assembly

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dammerel1

Freecad assembly

Postby dammerel1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:15 am

Hi guys, first time here
can i ask a quick question. Can freecad do assemblies?

Andrew
NormandC

Re: Freecad assembly

Postby NormandC » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Yes... And no but soonish.

Yes: you can position parts manually to create an assembly. Look at my "Show your FreeCAD project here" topic, many people do it already.

No but soonish: parts do not have parametric relationships between each other like in SolidWorks or Catia... Yet. It is being worked on and can even be tested by compiling experimental code.
dammerel1

Postby dammerel1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:40 am

Hi and thanks
I saw the designs in the topic and that is what made me ask
So I guess I should read the tutorials to find out how to do it
Does the design end up as one large part file ?
Andrew
jriegel
Site Admin

Postby jriegel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 am

At the first iteration the Assembly will be one large file. but the multi-model is right next in the line. There you will be able to split up your design in Part file (.FCPart) and Assemblies (.FCAsm) and build up a hierarchy of it...
Stop whining - start coding!
dammerel1

Postby dammerel1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:59 am

Hi. On the front page of the free cad website is a go cart. How is that design done?
Is it a number of parts somehow put together?
Thanks
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:02 pm

If I remember well that cart is on the "Show your FreeCAD project here" topic, and there is even the FcStd file available so you can have a look...
triplus

Postby triplus » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:17 pm

If I remember well that cart is on the "Show your FreeCAD project here" topic, and there is even the FcStd file available so you can have a look...
Yes and second sideshow has "credits" underneath and the links takes you here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1222&start=220#p24650
Is it a number of parts somehow put together?
Yes there are number of ways to put together parts. In the future as normandc said it will be quite easy and fun task with the help of Assembly Workbench because you will set some relations between parts and that will be it. There is a video:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1523&start=10#p12299

Current you can try to make 2 sketches and extrude both (one at a time). Then under property view -> data tab you can control position/rotation... of individual sketch or if you create for example 2 boxes the same applies... Under File you have Merge project... you can use if you have 2 .fcstd files and would like to merge them or you can export solids in other formats and import them in one document and position them accordingly. There are some tools available in FreeCAD that helps to position something precisely or more freely...

You see you have number of ways to assemble something from different objects but the thing currently lacking is to have the ability to do it in a way you would set some relations between objects and the relations would control the assembly. But don't let that stop you you will get good 3D perception if you will start making assemblies manually anyway and look at this for example:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1222&start=240#p26668

FreeCAD is more than capable to allow you to build assemblies!
dammerel1

Postby dammerel1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:36 am

thanks guys, i look forward to the development in the assembly
Andrew
sliptonic

Postby sliptonic » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:43 pm

I've built the dev-assembly branch and would like to play around but I'm not sure how to even get started. I know it's still very early but I'm curious and impatient.
Has anyone done a basic tutorial on the general concept? If not, any interested parties could meet on IRC and try to figure things out. When I've got an idea how it works (will work in the future) I'll be happy to write something up on the wiki or my blog.
jriegel
Site Admin

Postby jriegel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:39 pm

Ok - short intro for the impatient.

switch to assembly workbench. That should create a initial product which is active (violet background in tree).
In this product you can add parts and products. double click on the Body of a part will get you into the PartDesign workbench, where you can add geometry. After that go back to assembly by double click a product.
After adding geometry you can add constraints for the active product to order the parts.

But don't even think about do productive work! lots will still change....
Stop whining - start coding!