Feature #3799: Improve the "Create a hole in the selected sketch" task (remember previous task settings)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1

Feature #3799: Improve the "Create a hole in the selected sketch" task (remember previous task settings)

Postby Kunda1 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:04 pm

Discussion thread for issue #3799: Improve the "Create a hole in the selected sketch" task (remember previous task settings)
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
RatonLaveur

Re: Feature #3799: Improve the "Create a hole in the selected sketch" task (remember previous task settings)

Postby RatonLaveur » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:34 pm

To sum up here in the forum. OP is unsatisfied that for every sketch used to position a hole, the hole tool in PartDesign resets the settings and therefore the hole parameters have to be respecified.

I agree that the exercise can be tedious.

I see a few possible solutions myself:
1. As OP suggested, the hole tool remembers last settings.
2. To me the workflow would be to create all sketches and then create holes from all of them. So perhaps the ability to use the hole tool on multiple sketches at once would eliminate the need to even conjure up the tool more than once.
3. If you already know that your part will use principally a certain set of holes (i.e. want to standardize your part to use M4 screws wherever possible), a "default" hole settings or "save as default" button would do the trick very nicely. Then the hole tool would have a list of selected sketches and an apply button like most other transform tools (chamfer, fillet...etc).

Note: it is true that the hole tool needs some love and this has been acknowledged recently even by the maker of the tool. But it seems that at the moment the latests suggestions were left in standby which means maybe someone else should support the hole tool development effort to help its original creator.