FreeCAD Installation on DMG Mori CNC Mill-Turn

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
svw

FreeCAD Installation on DMG Mori CNC Mill-Turn

Post by svw »

Good evening,

I have been following this project for a very long time and use several CAD/CAM packages at a high level. I am also dabble in C/C++ which is what brought me to your project in the first place, which in turn lead me to learn Python.

Currently I am a contract engineer at a major aerospace defense contractor and we are installing several new machines. The one I personally am rolling out is a first of it's kind, a 2nd generation. This machine has an interface that includes parts of FreeCAD! Being super surprised I posted here in the forum for the first time! The printed manuals contain FreeCAD's license and the 3d document interface is similar.

Was anyone else aware of this? It is in the CELOS interface on a NTX2000, I have not had time to confirm if the last generation has this included but will.

Thanks,

Shane
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Installation on DMG Mori CNC Mill-Turn

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Thank you very much for sharing this! Can you give more information about what has been designed with FreeCAD?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

svw wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:30 am Was anyone else aware of this? It is in the CELOS interface on a NTX2000
hum ... a search for CELOS and NTX2000 returns the site of DMG MORI, but the same search with FreeCAD doesn't return any result, and a search of FreeCAD on DMG Mori's site doesn't return any result either. I guess that there is nothing to worry about since there isn't any doubt about FreeCAD licensing or copyright issues.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

svw wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:30 am ... The one I personally am rolling out is a first of it's kind, a 2nd generation.
This sentence made me laugh. It's a "first" of its kind, but it's a 2nd generation? Then it's not the first of its kind, it's the "second" of its kind? Haha. Semantics I guess.
Was anyone else aware of this? It is in the CELOS interface on a NTX2000, ...
What is this exactly? CELOS is a program? NTX2000 is a milling machine?

I would not be surprised anyway. It's free software, anybody can use it.

Also notice that FreeCAD internally uses OpenCASCADE, Coin3D, and Qt (Quarter), which are also free software, so the main interface may be copied and other tools added to it. That is, a stripped version of FreeCAD doesn't need every workbench, just a few components.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

vocx wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:37 pmThen it's not the first of its kind, it's the "second" of its kind? Haha.
It's the first of the second generation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

To be honest, it sounds like a "good" spam. Replace *FreeCAD* with a other Software and replace a *machine type* with a other. Then the sentences make also more or less sense. For me the sentences are too generic ....

If not, sorry.

Sorry for bad english

br
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

svw wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:30 am This machine has an interface that includes parts of FreeCAD! Being super surprised I posted here in the forum for the first time! The printed manuals contain FreeCAD's license and the 3d document interface is similar.

Was anyone else aware of this? It is in the CELOS interface on a NTX2000, I have not had time to confirm if the last generation has this included but will.
Can we get any pictures? Couldn't find anything about that on the internet. What I did find is that it has an app to connect with VNC to another computer and run whatever CAD application you have, not sure if this is what you're talking about.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

user1234 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:37 pm To be honest, it sounds like a "good" spam. Replace *FreeCAD* with a other Software and replace a *machine type* with a other. Then the sentences make also more or less sense. For me the sentences are too generic ....
You may be right, but who will spread spam for a multi 100,000$ machine - if not millions?