[Bug] Creating a Sphere or Conus Solid freezes the UI

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ifohancroft

Re: [Bug] Creating a Sphere or Conus Solid freezes the UI

Post by ifohancroft »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:24 am Perhaps adjusting would be better. It has first of all to be fixed in the current version. Then the developers may decide if a backport should be made.
You may check if writing a logfile (start FreeCAD with additional parameter -l) will provide additional information.

One more thing to try: delete your config and remove all addons.
I can't believe I didn't think of that.
Thank you! Removing the config file fixes everything (even my problem with the Sheet Metal Workbench). Specificially, user.cfg was the culprit.
While, I may not have time to dig through it to find if there is a specific line that causes the problem, I will be redoing my FreeCAD configuration, so if you think it would help, I can upload the old and new configuration file for the same config (at least that part of it that I remember and that I care about, since I may have configured things for workbenches I don't use so I may forget to do them again) for science, so it can provide information on what difference between the config files caused the problem and maybe how/why?

P.S. To clarify: When I say this fixed everything, I mean even the error output on start. The only thing that is left the output message:

connect failed: No such file or directory

Btw I'm closing the bug report but should I open one about the config file older version syntax causing such problems?
I like making, breaking and modding stuff, using a soldering iron, code or both. https://ifohancroft.com
ifohancroft

Re: [Bug] Creating a Sphere or Conus Solid freezes the UI

Post by ifohancroft »

In case, it may be useful to provide insight in why/how the config file caused those problems, I am attaching my old and current user.cfg files.
Attachments
current-user-cfg.txt
(40.72 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
old-user-cfg.txt
(32.07 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
I like making, breaking and modding stuff, using a soldering iron, code or both. https://ifohancroft.com