Frustrations with FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Accessdenied

Re: Frustrations with FreeCAD

Post by Accessdenied »

Guys, how to make non 45deg angle chamfer? I see it is possible in Part, but not in Part Design. Can I somehow do it correctly in Part and implement this chamfer into PartDesign model tree ?
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

use an angle and soustractivesweep
Attachments
angle.PNG
angle.PNG (18.68 KiB) Viewed 969 times
Accessdenied

Post by Accessdenied »

But how to make it for such rectangle shape? I cannot proceed for it this sweep cut, it works only for one edge then... or there is a trick.. ?
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

click right corner
Attachments
inside angle.PNG
inside angle.PNG (22.56 KiB) Viewed 959 times
Accessdenied

Post by Accessdenied »

It was very important to chose as last line the one on which sat the sketch.. was hard to figure out, but I did, thanks. )
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

i bit of frustration is usually normal, when learning new CAD.
Accessdenied

Post by Accessdenied »

Sure.. and great that FreeCad has so big and helpful community, it is surprising me.
Well, but I still did not get how to refine already modeled part, left corner -> Data.. and what to do there?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Accessdenied wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:32 pm Sure.. and great that FreeCad has so big and helpful community, it is surprising me.
Well, but I still did not get how to refine already modeled part, left corner -> Data.. and what to do there?
In the Data tab, most features have a 'Refine' property you can set to 'True'. ;) If not the case, you can always do a Part/Create a copy -> Refine Shape.
Ukacor

Post by Ukacor »

Good evening everyone.

I have worked with autocad in 3d but never before with a parametric program.
I am now starting to use Freecad which I find excellent.
For 2 weeks I have been working on a project for a patent. Obviously I spend more time than an expert but I'm interested in learning and I want to invest some time.
According to my possibilities, I also want to contribute financially to support the cast of volunteers who are committed to developing this software. I prefer to support realities that have a high moral profile rather than finance the big software houses.

It's just my thought.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Accessdenied wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:14 pm Guys, how to make non 45deg angle chamfer? I see it is possible in Part, but not in Part Design. Can I somehow do it correctly in Part and implement this chamfer into PartDesign model tree ?
There are several ways to create a 45° chamfer in PartDesign.
- You have already seen the sweep. It is the most complicated one, but sometimes it is necessary.
- There is a chamfer tool in PartDesign. Did you try it and it didn't work? For your rectangle it seems perfect.
- You can use the Part chamfer tool. You should do this only if you need the two-radii-chamfer.

When using a part function you should always apply it to the whole body, and never to a feature. However, that's difficult in this case. You could set the DisplayMode to Tip instead of Through, or you select the body, invoke the tool and then select the appropriate edge by using the checkbox (instead of selecting it in 3D view).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.