Frustrations with FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Accessdenied

Re: Frustrations with FreeCAD

Post by Accessdenied »

DeepSOIC wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:37 pm
chrisb wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:39 pm You probably mean something like "the feature where the face occurred for the first time".
That is a very interesting problem. I'd say, not only it needs history-tracking toponaming, it might also require a substantial redesign of PartDesign yet again. As it is now, it is consistent with how PartDesign works internally: the feature is an object, and it assumes the shape of the body with the feature applied, not the feature itself. It is counterintuitive, and tripped a lot of beginners (and still trips, apparently).

I thought of changing that, and make features resemble Part Primitives, and then only Body will take the final fused-cut shape. It all sounds good, and good for performance, but how to do fillets in this situation??
As there are also different problems with fillets and chamfers, isn't it possible to generate them as a feature? I mean, for example, if we need to make chamfer or fillet in negative corner, then software applies extrusion procedure for that corner or corners, it also will allow to make complicated geometries with difficult shapes. The same for positive corner, but with removing material as pocketing. However I do not know how it is working now, just my thought.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You got the quoting wrong. You may edit your post and correct it.
Accessdenied wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:59 am Edit->Preferences-> Part Design-> Automatically refine model.. ? IT is working only from the beginning, but for already finished models not working, right?
You can edit it for existing features in the Data tab at left lower side of the window (in default layout).

If you delete feature related to sketch, then sketch by the way stays on a face where you drew it.
That's what it does here in FreeCAD, just tested in Part and PartDesign. However, if references to external geometry of other features are involved, then things can become really weird.
PLease search the forum. There are tons of discussions about how to control the quality of STL exports, one of them changing "Deviation" and "Angular deflection".
I already did, yes, but this changes the model also in part design, it means a long time to wait for complex models to be build or features changed. Then I need to make better options before saving .STL, and then change to lower resolution when need to change model.. double operations, better if .stl saving is separated from model look and calculation during the modelling process.
If you want to have more control over mesh export, you can use the Mesh workbench. I'm not an expert in that area, but I have seen macros here which support you, if you always want to export with the same parameters
[/quote]
Accessdenied wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:08 am As there are also different problems with fillets and chamfers, isn't it possible to generate them as a feature? I mean, for example, if we need to make chamfer or fillet in negative corner, then software applies extrusion procedure for that corner or corners, it also will allow to make complicated geometries with difficult shapes. The same for positive corner, but with removing material as pocketing. However I do not know how it is working now, just my thought.
This may work on straight lines, but fillets as provided by the geometric OCC kernel can fillet curves too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

As there are also different problems with fillets and chamfers
If you need a frame to expose Grand'ma's picture , you can do it with do a profil to use the the side as path for the soustractive sweep
Attachments
grandma frame.PNG
grandma frame.PNG (36.5 KiB) Viewed 848 times
grandma frame.FCStd
(70.82 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Accessdenied

Post by Accessdenied »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:00 am
Accessdenied wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:59 am Edit->Preferences-> Part Design-> Automatically refine model.. ? IT is working only from the beginning, but for already finished models not working, right?
You can edit it for existing features in the Data tab at left lower side of the window (in default layout).

Emm.. could you explain how to do it or post print screen what to change there..?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Accessdenied wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:59 am
Click on the small up-arrow next to "Accessdenied wrote:" to get to the post I'm talking of. Everything in there seems to be just a quote of me, which it isn't.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Accessdenied

Post by Accessdenied »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:12 am
Accessdenied wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:59 am
Click on the small up-arrow next to "Accessdenied wrote:" to get to the post I'm talking of. Everything in there seems to be just a quote of me, which it isn't.
Tried to correct it.
fmluizao

Post by fmluizao »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:00 am
I never know when to refine or not... wouldn't be better that be automatic? As far as I understand, refine only remove redundant edges, right?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

fmluizao wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:33 am I never know when to refine or not... wouldn't be better that be automatic? As far as I understand, refine only remove redundant edges, right?
I don't use the automatism, because I don't want to get unnecessary things to be done; I refine if necessary the last feature. If you want to refine always you can change the behaviour in the preferences.
fmluizao

Post by fmluizao »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:41 pm I don't use the automatism, because I don't want to get unnecessary things to be done; I refine if necessary the last feature.
Ok, but when you know it its necessary to refine?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

One reason is that it may look better to refine the final state. Another is if refinable edges get in the way of fillets or chamfers or thickness.