Frustrations with FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus

Re: Frustrations with FreeCAD

Postby triplus » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:20 pm

Accessdenied wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:32 pm
Sure.. and great that FreeCad has so big and helpful community, it is surprising me.
Well, but I still did not get how to refine already modeled part, left corner -> Data.. and what to do there?
If a feature has a refine property, best to use that, if it doesn't have a refine property, not all have it, and you would like to keep everything parametric, there is still OpenSCAD_RefineShapeFeature.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:11 pm

triplus wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:20 pm
not all have it
Are you sure? We then should create a feature request.
Accessdenied

Postby Accessdenied » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:18 am

There in Data I've found Refine option for each feature, but changing it for any features ruins other sketches or features, so it is not possible to use this option...
Zolko

Postby Zolko » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:43 am

Accessdenied wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:18 am
There in Data I've found Refine option for each feature, but changing it for any features ruins other sketches or features, so it is not possible to use this option...
This is normal, because refining changes the topological geometry construct. I enable it automatically for everything in the preferences so every operation is refined thus other operations based on it are already using refined features.

Other solution: don't use PartDesign WB at all. The more I see it the less I like it.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD v0.19
install with Tools > Addon Manager > Assembly4 — tutorials here and here
Accessdenied

Postby Accessdenied » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:57 am

Zolko wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:43 am
This is normal, because refining changes the topological geometry construct. I enable it automatically for everything in the preferences so every operation is refined thus other operations based on it are already using refined features.

Other solution: don't use PartDesign WB at all. The more I see it the less I like it.
What you use then? :)
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:28 am

You can use Part workbench, but the problems would have been the same, if you have attached sketches to faces. Currently it is not trivial but it can be very well done to create models in PartDesign which are robust with respect to changes in earlier steps. Have a look at this page, especially the paragraph about creating stable models.
Accessdenied

Postby Accessdenied » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:11 pm

chrisb wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:28 am
You can use Part workbench, but the problems would have been the same, if you have attached sketches to faces. Currently it is not trivial but it can be very well done to create models in PartDesign which are robust with respect to changes in earlier steps. Have a look at this page, especially the paragraph about creating stable models.
Thank you for recommendations, now I try to define dimensions more from the XYZ base planes and coordinates, but it is absolutely impossible to draw anything without connecting it to existing geometry, I mean without coincidence. If there is no coincidence between two model features, then in the case when I change any dimensions, I will need to redefine, recalculate all other dimensions to avoid a shift and it is like modelling from the beginning in case of small change again and again. I think that FreeCad has future if this topological naming problem will be solved. Do you know if this problem will be solved in next FC version or no way? =)
bejant

Postby bejant » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:50 pm

Accessdenied wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:11 pm
it is absolutely impossible to draw anything without connecting it to existing geometry, I mean without coincidence.
Not true (see below).

Accessdenied wrote:
If there is no coincidence between two model features, then in the case when I change any dimensions, I will need to redefine, recalculate all other dimensions to avoid a shift
Instead of creating the coincidence by attaching the Sketch to a planar Face, you can place the Sketch by using Expressions. Using one or more master Sketches might work for you too.

Accessdenied wrote:
and it is like modelling from the beginning in case of small change again and again.
If you construct a robust model you won't have so much re-work to do if you make small changes later, but the ability to create robust models comes with practice and is something that is learned.
Accessdenied

Postby Accessdenied » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:14 pm

bejant wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:50 pm
Instead of creating the coincidence by attaching the Sketch to a planar Face, you can place the Sketch by using Expressions. Using one or more master Sketches might work for you too.
What you mean by "you can place the Sketch by using Expressions" ?
fmluizao

Postby fmluizao » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:19 pm

bejant wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:50 pm
Is there some good tutorial about this subject? Video, anything will be helpful :D