Frustrations with FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain

Re: Frustrations with FreeCAD

Postby openBrain » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:47 pm

fmluizao wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:19 pm
Is there some good tutorial about this subject? Video, anything will be helpful :D
I can remember those previous examples :
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 73#p291421
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p294532

The first applies expressions on Datum plane, but it works the same on sketches.
In the second link you have 2 different files in 2 following threads.
I think you can get good clues by analyzing the files and eventually reading the threads. Feel free to ask for details if needed. ;)
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:26 pm

There is something between the prone-to-break attachment to faces and using expressions: You can reference sketches. A rather robust possibility is the aforementioned master sketch, but others can be referenced as well.
bejant

Postby bejant » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:13 pm

Accessdenied wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:14 pm
What you mean by "you can place the Sketch by using Expressions" ?
As a simple example, instead of Mapping a Sketch onto the top face of a Pad you can use the Data tab > Property column > Attachment Offset > Position field, and use an Expression to locate the Sketch at Pad.Length. Or you can instead reference a Constraint in an earlier Sketch to locate a subsequent Sketch (you have to give the earlier Constraint a name first).

fmluizao wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:19 pm
Is there some good tutorial about this subject? Video, anything will be helpful :D
I don't know off the top of my head but I'm sure there are others besides those that openBrain provided, you'll just have to search for them. (Maybe others can give a better answer than this one.)
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:08 pm

I think Harra Geier's videos respect the placement without attaching to faces, IIRC his youtube name is HaGei.
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:26 am

This is a link to the Expressions page in the FreeCAD wiki

Expressions