[Pattern Features enhancing] : circular and linear pattern must support also fillets and chamfers

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kisolre
Veteran

Re: [Pattern Features enhancing] : circular and linear pattern must support also fillets and chamfers

Post by kisolre »

realthunder wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:25 am No, the shape used for patterning is calculated as "result - original(original)", i.e. original of the original.
Why? What if the pattern in not created by a patterning feature? As in gears or some imported STEP:
GearDressup.JPG
GearDressup.JPG (55.13 KiB) Viewed 118349 times
kisolre
Veteran

Re: [Pattern Features enhancing] : circular and linear pattern must support also fillets and chamfers

Post by kisolre »

Here is an example with Part chamfer/Draft array that works:
Arrayed Chamfer.JPG
Arrayed Chamfer.JPG (75.45 KiB) Viewed 118331 times
Attachments
Egg Tray V1.FCStd
(126.19 KiB) Downloaded 686 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

kisolre wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:30 am Why? What if the pattern in not created by a patterning feature? As in gears or some imported STEP:
Yes, that is indeed valid use case. I'll make some changes.

kisolre wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:42 am Here is an example with Part chamfer/Draft array that works:
For this, your solution is over complex. @uwestoehr above has already shown you how to do it. Just move fillet before polar pattern.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

realthunder wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:19 pm For this, your solution is over complex.
That was just an example of my understanding how things work/should work behind the scene - generate the difference(Part Cut), pattern it (Draft array), remove from original (Part Cut)
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

I think the confusion arises because people like @kisolre assumes the pattern only applies to the dressing (i.e. fillet, chamfer, etc), while the current implementation patterns the dressed-up-additive/subtractive feature.

I have made some change and allow user to choose either behavior, using the existing property SupportTransform. The question is which behavior is more natural, and should be the default one.

For example, suppose there is a Fillet, which is applied to a Pad. Now the user wants to create a Polar pattern.

When Fillet.SupportTransform is true, the user only needs to add the Fillet, and the filleted Pad will be used to create the pattern.

When Fillet.SupportTransform is false, the user must add both the Pad and the Fillet to get the same end result. The advantage is more flexibility, say using a different pattern for pad and fillet.

Note that if the fillet is applied on a non-additive/subtractive feature, such as another pattern, then it always behave as if SupportTransform is false.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Did some play around. Now I think pattern only the dressing is more natural. Because, there is really no enforcement for the dressing to be applied only to the added or subtracted shape. For example, as shown in the model below, even though Fillet001 is based on Cylinder, which creates the center hole, the fillet is not applied to any of the geometry generated by the Cylinder.

Screenshot from 2020-03-21 12-24-46.png
Screenshot from 2020-03-21 12-24-46.png (60.04 KiB) Viewed 118279 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

PR submitted here. 'SupportTransform' defaults to false.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for this change. Using the underlying feature can be convenient, because there is no need to add features to the pattern. Transform=false is the way the other features work, so it may seem more natural. You gave one use case, a similar one is, wher a fillet is well applied only to a certain feature, but due to smooth transitions it can extend over more even not selected edges.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

realthunder wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:32 am Did some play around. Now I think pattern only the dressing is more natural. ...
I tried two dress-ups in a row, for example, first a fillet, then a chamfer, and then the linear pattern, and no shape was generated. Is this a bug?
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

vocx wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:30 am I tried two dress-ups in a row, for example, first a fillet, then a chamfer, and then the linear pattern, and no shape was generated. Is this a bug?
Did you try with this PR? If so, can you please post your file here?