[Pattern Features enhancing] : circular and linear pattern must support also fillets and chamfers

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Posts: 1404
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:55 am

Re: [Pattern Features enhancing] : circular and linear pattern must support also fillets and chamfers

Postby realthunder » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:47 am

Just realized that upstream PartDesign does not allow selecting dress up feature for patterning, so there will be no backward compatibility problem. Fine, I'll still leave SupportTransform property there for more configurability.
Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.10.2) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
chrisb
Posts: 22526
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: [Pattern Features enhancing] : circular and linear pattern must support also fillets and chamfers

Postby chrisb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:00 am

Zolko wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 am
Hold-on, shouldn't this be planned in a more organized way ?
You are right, although I don't think that the order of priorities is important. We can and should, of course, express wishes, but finally it is up to the developer (in this case realthunder) when it is done, and how it fits his overall development process.

But it definitely should be discussed how things are done, because it is much easier to do it right the first time, than changing things later.

one of those would be to be able to extrude (pad ?) a sketch up to a datum plane: today it's not possible.
Works here:
Snip macro screenshot-a4bd02.png
Snip macro screenshot-a4bd02.png (7.71 KiB) Viewed 268 times
OS: macOS High Sierra (10.13)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a797a4172709b82c6cd08dcf6df86cb789aaa3ce
Python version: 3.8.1
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
Attachments
UpToDatumPlane.FCStd
(9.57 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
realthunder
Posts: 1404
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:55 am

Re: [Pattern Features enhancing] : circular and linear pattern must support also fillets and chamfers

Postby realthunder » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:04 am

Zolko wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 am
Hold-on, shouldn't this be planned in a more organized way ?
Sure, but I prefer to discuss over something concrete. I won't insist on my way and my way only. I'll make something for everybody to try and then discuss up on.

Zolko wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 am
For me, for example, the priority would rather be to correctly handle PartDesign::DatumThings, and one of those would be to be able to extrude (pad ?) a sketch up to a datum plane: today it's not possible.
That's separate feature quest. I don't think it conflicts with my multi-body plan in any way. I always take backward compatibility as the first priority,

Another big question is: how are Part, Body and Assemblies supposed to interact ? If PartDesign is orphaned code, and since you have spent quite some effort in making App::Part objects App::Link compatible, shouldn't the focus rather go towards the Part workbench ? It can mostly do the same things.
Yes, it can, but in quite different ways. I actually like the PartDesign way more (if implemented right), which is what most other CAD is doing too. As for the interaction with Assembly, my asm3 container is designed without restriction on what type of objects it can contain. The constraining element is abstracted using special type of object that accepts almost any thing. I am not saying that FC's future assembly container should work like this, but it certainly shows that it is possible to keep developing PartDesign now without worrying too much about the assembly.
Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.10.2) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
chrisb
Posts: 22526
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: [Pattern Features enhancing] : circular and linear pattern must support also fillets and chamfers

Postby chrisb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:10 am

UpToDatumPlane works in 0.18.4 as well.
openBrain
Posts: 3440
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: [Pattern Features enhancing] : circular and linear pattern must support also fillets and chamfers

Postby openBrain » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:34 am

Zolko wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 am
For me, for example, the priority would rather be to correctly handle PartDesign::DatumThings, and one of those would be to be able to extrude (pad ?) a sketch up to a datum plane: today it's not possible.
Works for quite a long time => https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 17#p313150
User avatar
Zolko
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:02 am

Re: [Pattern Features enhancing] : circular and linear pattern must support also fillets and chamfers

Postby Zolko » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:12 am

openBrain wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:34 am
Zolko wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 am
For me, for example, the priority would rather be to correctly handle PartDesign::DatumThings, and one of those would be to be able to extrude (pad ?) a sketch up to a datum plane: today it's not possible.
Works for quite a long time => https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 17#p313150
ah good to know, I hadn't checked recently.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD v0.19
install with Tools > Addon Manager > Assembly4 — tutorials here and here
User avatar
uwestoehr
Posts: 1366
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:21 am

Re: [Pattern Features enhancing] : circular and linear pattern must support also fillets and chamfers

Postby uwestoehr » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:27 am

realthunder wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:04 am
Sure, but I prefer to discuss over something concrete.
I have one: on my personal Todo list I have an issue that I would like to fix but need a starting point where to look in the code:

- assume you have a cube, then you can select e.g. 5 of its edges and then use the menu PartDesign -> Fillet
result: you get immediately a fillet on all 5 selected edges

- no you have already a document with fillets and you realize that you must fillet e.g. 5 more edges using the same fillet parameters. Therefore you open the existing fillet but then you can only add one edge after another. This is very time consuming (in real life I deal with dozens of filleted edges on every part).

So what I simply want to do is to add the functionality to the fillet dialog to select multiple edged to add them to the fillet.
jaisejames
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:51 am

Re: [Pattern Features enhancing] : circular and linear pattern must support also fillets and chamfers

Postby jaisejames » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:35 am

My feature request for part design

* Add Taper outward angle option part design extrude also [now available part extrude].
* Add extrude up to faces if more than one face come [same can be done part with join -> connect objects].
sample.png
sample.png (15.63 KiB) Viewed 229 times
dxp.dev
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:57 pm

Re: [Pattern Features enhancing] : circular and linear pattern must support also fillets and chamfers

Postby dxp.dev » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:07 pm

uwestoehr wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:27 am
realthunder wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:04 am
Sure, but I prefer to discuss over something concrete.
I have one: on my personal Todo list I have an issue that I would like to fix but need a starting point where to look in the code:

- assume you have a cube, then you can select e.g. 5 of its edges and then use the menu PartDesign -> Fillet
result: you get immediately a fillet on all 5 selected edges

- no you have already a document with fillets and you realize that you must fillet e.g. 5 more edges using the same fillet parameters. Therefore you open the existing fillet but then you can only add one edge after another. This is very time consuming (in real life I deal with dozens of filleted edges on every part).

So what I simply want to do is to add the functionality to the fillet dialog to select multiple edged to add them to the fillet.
That is an excellent thing to do ! I hope you will be able to do that, as it will simplify the workflow for virtually every user of FC :!:
Imperial system makes no sense, go metric ! ! !
chrisb
Posts: 22526
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: [Pattern Features enhancing] : circular and linear pattern must support also fillets and chamfers

Postby chrisb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:44 pm

uwestoehr wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:27 am
So what I simply want to do is to add the functionality to the fillet dialog to select multiple edged to add them to the fillet.
That's a very good plan! This has been discussed already several times and noone seemed to be very happy with it. Equally or even more cumbersome is the selection mechanism for the patternshaving more than one feature.

If you want to work on that, please have a look at the Path workbench, where a rather smooth selection mechanism has been implemented.