Feature Request: Automatic attatchment offset setting

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jruiz

Feature Request: Automatic attatchment offset setting

Post by jruiz »

How hard could be to implement a kind of expression field function, AOSF, for setting the attachment offsets automatically in the following way?:
  • Select an entity and go to its attachment offset
  • Select the coordinate, say X, you want to modify its attachment offset.
  • Press a button associated to AOSF, then
  • Click on a point, say P, of the model.
  • The AOSF would assign to the X coordinate of the attachment offset, the corresponding X coordinate of P.
I have uploaded many FreeCAD video tutorials to my YouTube channel
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Feature Request: Automatic attatchment offset setting

Post by chrisb »

Would you mind to explain the use case? It sounds to me as if you should better use some attachment of the objects, or as if it would be better to transfer the value as an expression.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

chrisb wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:40 am Would you mind to explain the use case? It sounds to me as if you should better use some attachment of the objects, or as if it would be better to transfer the value as an expression.
(...one application but not the only one..)
Suppose that as you develop a project, you want to make an sketch for example on a plane parallel to XY plane and passing by the intersection of two edges appearing in the project.
You could make a sketch on XY plane, then the Z attachment offset of the sketch could be set by clicking the AOSF button, and then the intersection point.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The use case is still rather abstract, but it's the same I had in mind: in that case you better attach the sketch to the intersection point. If you want to speed such attachment, I'm all with you, if you just want to copy the value of some coordinate I'm afraid it supports a rather non parametric way of modeling.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

chrisb wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 pm ...if you just want to copy the value of some coordinate I'm afraid it supports a rather non parametric way of modeling.
...well, the effect would be of assigning the (referenced) value of the selected coordinate to the respective offset. In fact that coordinate (and any other one) would depends on the parameters used in the model, so keeping the parametric scheme on the model. The advantage I see is that one would be able to get the desired (referenced) values automatically. This method would be useful too for assigning (referenced) value to any coordinate depending on points of the model,
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If references are used, it can indeed speed up modeling.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Not sure understanding the idea... something like below ?

There is a sketch with a numbers of edges in screencapture

See the little triangles in white ? They are attaching and aligning to certain intersection of edges and offset from these intersection by amount user specify - this can not be done by Attachment Offset / Mapmode only.
Screenshot from 2020-02-16 08-54-30.png
Screenshot from 2020-02-16 08-54-30.png (199.3 KiB) Viewed 461 times
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

paullee wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:00 am Not sure understanding the idea...
The idea is that after going to:
Property -> Attatchment ->Attatchment Offsets ->Position -> x, y or z coordinate,
the value column have another icon (beside the expression icon (f)) for which after pressing it one can choose any point on the model for assigning its respective (referenced) coordinate to the selected offset.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

jruiz wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:32 pm
paullee wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:00 am Not sure understanding the idea...
The idea is that after going to:
Property -> Attatchment ->Attatchment Offsets ->Position -> x, y or z coordinate,
the value column have another icon (beside the expression icon (f)) for which after pressing it one can choose any point on the model for assigning its respective (referenced) coordinate to the selected offset.
That's seem handy :)

Any example of actual usecase? Screencapture or sketch to illustrate ?