[Feature request] Make the WB loolbars tab dependent

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dxp.dev

[Feature request] Make the WB loolbars tab dependent

Post by dxp.dev »

Hi,

In the following of my question to that matter here :https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43326

The idea is when you have multiple files open in different tabs and you work on different WB with each file (for instance Part and FEM and Assembly), that when you click from tab to tab, FC remembers what WB you were using with that tab and displays it automatically.

OpenBrain produced a Macro that seems to work :

openBrain wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:13 pm
Attached a macro that tries to solve the problem. ;)
Features are :
  • Stores for each MDI window what is the active workbench (and of course recall it when the window has been left then reentered)
  • Stores the current workbench as own one for all opened windows when launching the macro (of course can be changed afterward)
  • Stores the current workbench as own one for newly created window (of course can be changed afterward)
Notice that this is stored in the UI so not saved to file. However the good thing is that you can have 2 different workbenches for 2 different views of the same document (eg. PartDesign in the 3D view and Spreadsheet in a spreadsheet view of the same model). I think this is a correct approach but I may fail.

If this is of interest, next steps could be (not exclusive) :
  • Make the macro available through addon manager
  • Provide the macro as a package so that it can be run at automatically at startup / Make this package available through the addon manager
  • Hardcode this behavior in FreeCAD "core" and add an option to enable it
Feedback welcome.

So I think it could be integrated as an option in Preferences, a box to check "Make Workbenches Tab dependent".

What do you think ?
Find your user.cfg and system.cfg files : Macro_findConfigFiles

Imperial system makes no sense, go metric ! ! !