[Enhancing importing external geometry in Sketcher] : ability to import any silhouette as reference geometry

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Piero69

[Enhancing importing external geometry in Sketcher] : ability to import any silhouette as reference geometry

Post by Piero69 »

I feel useful the ability to import any silhouette by planar projection onto a sketch as external reference geometry. Currently only borders are supported.

what do you think?
RatonLaveur

Re: [Enhancing importing external geometry in Sketcher] : ability to import any silhouette as reference geometry

Post by RatonLaveur »

I've been struggling to index the top of a cylinder when operating laterally. Or getting the sides of a cylinder. So I would say +1
Though i don't know how simple the feature is to implement.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Enhancing importing external geometry in Sketcher] : ability to import any silhouette as reference geometry

Post by chrisb »

Piero69 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:16 pm I feel useful the ability to import any silhouette by planar projection onto a sketch as external reference geometry. Currently only borders are supported.
Not true. You can use vertices as well as any sketch geometry. The sketch may have a form that is impossible for padding. Faces does not seem sensible to me. What else do you need? What other silhouettes are you thinking of?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Piero69

Post by Piero69 »

chrisb, cylindrical surfaces (maybe the most import) are not supported. if i make a sketch on the middle plane of a cylinder (a hole for example) and i want to import the wall as lines ... i can't.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I see. As workarounds you can in many cases turn the cylinder appropriately, display the model in wireframe mode and you can see which lines you can use. Another possibility is to use DatumLines and DatumPoints which you can reference.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.