When to choose Part Design WB or Part WB?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro

When to choose Part Design WB or Part WB?

Postby drmacro » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:31 pm

I've been using FC for a number of years, to the point that using the Part Design or Part workbenches is pretty much a reflex action. I mostly use Part Design WB because I guess I think more like it does. But, using Part WB is ok when I need to. (Still have to really concentrate to get a line in 3d space for a sweep path...and I've been doing 3D stuff for 40 years or more. :oops: :lol: )

My question here is what thoughts others have about, when coaching new users, what is the thought process to select using one or the other for a particular design.

I realize there are a lot of factors, level of users experience, required functionality only available in one or the other, etc.

Is there a rule of thumb?

:?:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

My beginners, written treatise: Learning FreeCAD
dxp.dev

Re: When to choose Part Design WB or Part WB?

Postby dxp.dev » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:42 pm

The result is different as data structure (and for Assembly 4 it changes the workflow) :
Zolko wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:20 pm

be careful: PartDesign WB doesn't produce Parts, it produces Bodies. It is entirely possible to use Parts made with the Part WB with Assembly4, but if you want to use Bodies made with the PartDesign WB you need first to create a Part and move the Body into that Part.
Imperial system makes no sense, go metric ! ! !
vocx

Postby vocx » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:20 pm

drmacro wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:31 pm
My question here is what thoughts others have about, when coaching new users, what is the thought process to select using one or the other for a particular design.
"Avoid Part Workbench. It is an older way of working. It works with raw solids.

PartDesign Workbench is a more modern way of working because it uses a Body container in which Features are created in sequence.

If you must use Part Workbench, you should import that result into a PartDesign Body, and continue your modelling there.
"

This is what I would tell newbies.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
drmacro

Postby drmacro » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:54 pm

vocx wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:20 pm

If you must use Part Workbench, you should import that result into a PartDesign Body, and continue your modelling there.
This is a skill I have yet to master. It happens to me automagically sometimes...but, I have not found the mechanism...or maybe I don't know the right incantations. :oops: I've never figured out the: "To import the result of a Part workbench design to a Body; do this, this, and this..."

As for the wiki's you link...I've read them, and re-read them before posting this thread.
And, hence this post. I might have missed the part that says "If you must use Part Workbench..." :?:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

drmacro

Postby drmacro » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:59 pm

Ok...maybe I spoke too soon. :oops: :oops:

Is it as simple as dragging the Part WB "thing" into a Body object? And it becomes a BaseFeature.

vocx

Postby vocx » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:22 pm

drmacro wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:59 pm
Is it as simple as dragging the Part WB "thing" into a Body object? And it becomes a BaseFeature.
Yes.

And what if you already have a BaseFeature in your Body? You can create a second Body to import the second Part "thing", so it becomes a second BaseFeature. Then you can fuse the two Bodies, using PartDesign Boolean.
Body_inside_Body.png
Body_inside_Body.png (19.96 KiB) Viewed 637 times
As a matter of fact you can use PartDesign Boolean with the second Part "thing" without needing a second Body and a second BaseFeature.
Part_feature_inside_Body.png
Part_feature_inside_Body.png (12.45 KiB) Viewed 637 times
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
drmacro

Postby drmacro » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:50 pm

Ok, so that clears up a couple of things for me.

Thanks! :)

Zolko

Postby Zolko » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:15 pm

vocx wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:20 pm
funny, this is the exact opposite of what Assembly4 says:

if you want to use Bodies made with the PartDesign workbench you need first to create a Part and move the Body into that Part.
Therefore, my advice: use the Part WB by default, and if you're stuck and have very good reasons to use PartDesign, then create a Body inside the Part and use PartDesign WB there.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD v0.19
install with Tools > Addon Manager > Assembly4 — tutorials here and here
vocx

Postby vocx » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:16 am

Zolko wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:15 pm
...Therefore, my advice: use the Part WB by default, and if you're stuck and have very good reasons to use PartDesign, then create a Body inside the Part and use PartDesign WB there.
You are understanding wrong. In my description above, I am not talking about Std_Parts at all. A Std_Part is not related to the Part Workbench at all; a Std_Part (App_Part) is an object provided by the base (standard) system.

To create assemblies you should always create Std_Parts and place your other objects there. Std_Parts are the intended containers for assemblies. You should place Part Workbench "things" (Part_Features) and PartDesign Bodies inside Std_Parts before doing any sort of assembly with them.
RatonLaveur

Postby RatonLaveur » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:18 am

I am actually quite curious, i always feel like the Part way of modelling with primitives is a "lesser" version of the true parametric modelling of PartDesign.

I feel that primitives modelling is a good entry point for complete beginners to start thinking in volumes but has no real use in engineering, and is too limited for design modelling (curves) or mesh modelling (blender...etc).

As such i am always surprised at the maintained prevalence of Part WB in FreeCAD given that PartDesign has been around and powerful enough since 0.17 (PartDesignNext) to rival expensive pro software.

I also feel (and no offense to Zolko's incredible work) that an assembly module conceived with Part WB front and center is rather a step back than forward.

Now all of the above is only my own impression, and I am merely voicing it here so that some other kind souls would educate me with their views on it.

Best,