When to choose Part Design WB or Part WB?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
polymer

Re: When to choose Part Design WB or Part WB?

Postby polymer » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:06 am

Honestly, there is much work to be done before we can even consider switching Part off.
This is they point: as long as Part is still “there“, no one cares about finishing (or working on) PartDesign.
Now someone will say: „you have the source...“

Some time ago I told something about combining all functionality of Part, Surface, Lines, points (all elements needed for more complex shapes) in one work area.
Make one Assembly area. One for Drawings. And when these three main parts are stable or consistent over >5 iterations (e.g. 0.22-0.27) than one can say it is reliable enough to be used in a more professional way and can be called 1.0.
You are an engeneer?
I know how to earn money as one.
But this is not interesting here.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the work everyone has done but at a certain point persons how have done that much stuck in a bubble. Don’t know how to say this.
ubiquity

Postby ubiquity » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:16 am

chrisb wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:46 am
ubiquity wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:34 am
Are the primitives in Part WB fundamentally Sketch based?
No. To describe it slightly simplified: the first level of complexity are primitive geometric objects, such as cube, cylinder, ... They are made in a single step and are controlled by parameters such as radius and height for a cylinder. Objects based on sketches are much more complicated: first you create a more or less complicated sketch with all its constraints and then you create an object from such sketch. These objects can be ordered by complexity: Extrude, Revolve, Loft, Sweep. And all of these objects can be used in boolean operations.
Thanks.
I presumed that was the case but thought it important to ask the question, but should probably have asked it in another post.
When I agreed with microelly I was thinking largely about the younger generation and getting them interested in learning FreeCAD.
FreeCAD certainly deserves to become mainstream and in my opinion making it easy for the younger generation to participate would reap rewards.
My 16 year old grandson was introduced to Blender by his school when he was 12 - why not FreeCAD too?
My eight year old granddaughter would struggle at the moment with learning the formality of bodies, parts, and sketches but she can drag primitives into the workspace and manipulate them to create any number of 'interesting' objects. Of course she can do the same in Blender, at a pinch or she could move to the AutoSketch stable and do the same in Tinkercad.
If she was to stick with FreeCAD she could, when she is ready, begin to learn that most, if not all, of the objects she has been 'playing' with can be created based on sketches. As chrisb has said
chrisb wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:07 pm
Basically I recommend:
- Play around with Part workbench
- Start with the PartDesign Tutorials from the wiki, and make some serious models
- After feeling comfortable with PartDesign, go back to Part workbench and learn in more detail about its capabilities
- Decide what suits best your personal preferences.
In addition to introducing my granddaughter to various open source software choices I also have the responsibility of helping as many of our Men's Shed Members (most of us are over 65 and retired) as are interested to use our computers, the CNC machine and, soon, our 3D printer. As our computers were donated with empty hard drives it made sense to install Linux together with FreeCAD, LibreCAD and LinuxCNC plus other open source software. The above approach makes sense for our members too.
I understand coding resources are limited and glad to see that FreeCAD has the opportunity to participate in GSOC again this year.
OS - Linux Mint 19 & Win10 (both 64bit)
IT Training & Support (retired)
Cheers Paul
vocx

Postby vocx » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:27 pm

polymer wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:06 am
Some time ago I told something about combining all functionality of Part, Surface, Lines, points (all elements needed for more complex shapes) in one work area.
Make one Assembly area. One for Drawings. And when these three main parts are stable or consistent over >5 iterations (e.g. 0.22-0.27) than one can say it is reliable enough to be used in a more professional way and can be called 1.0.
This is the discussion: Discussion: FreeCAD is not ready for 1.0
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
triplus

Postby triplus » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:18 pm

What one needs to understand is, although all didn't agree with it, Part Design (NEXT) workbench was made as it is intentionally. And yes, it took roughly 5 years. Therefore Part Design workbench already reached 1.0 status in FreeCAD 0.17 and as such is considered to be professional ready.

P.S. If things will evolve again in the future, that will be a part of some new effort.
brjhaverkamp

Postby brjhaverkamp » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:59 pm

chrisb wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:46 am
ubiquity wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:34 am
Are the primitives in Part WB fundamentally Sketch based?
No. To describe it slightly simplified: the first level of complexity are primitive geometric objects, such as cube, cylinder, ... They are made in a single step and are controlled by parameters such as radius and height for a cylinder. Objects based on sketches are much more complicated: first you create a more or less complicated sketch with all its constraints and then you create an object from such sketch. These objects can be ordered by complexity: Extrude, Revolve, Loft, Sweep. And all of these objects can be used in boolean operations.
Although the 3D solid design world is developing around parametric sketching there is still a need for people to start in a simple way achieve some satisfying results and look for more.
Part workbench is parametric as well! Change a cube that is used in a fusion that is used in a cut that is used in a mirror and without any further action the mirror will change too.
I agree Chrisb, but I can still imagine the primitive geometric objects in the PD workbench. A single click of the button to add it a cube, cylinder. It could add a sketch and extrude in one go, and then the user could work from there. Maybe you would need to add slightly tweaked interface to specify the size parameters, but then you could have primitives in PD. And the charm would be that since there is a sketch, it is also a great introduction to start playing with it. Reduce the learning curve so to speak.

Bert
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:16 pm

I see now what you mean. You want to replace the existing primitives with equivalent sketch based ones. I can well imagine an additional PartDesignPrimitevesFromSketches workbench, which does this. As you say it may be nice for starting simple and adding step by step complexity. The full advantage would be available if the toponaming problem is solved.