Discussion: FreeCAD is not ready for 1.0

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: Discussion: FreeCAD is not ready for 1.0

Post by vocx »

Zolko wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:47 am ...
This would need some low-level update in the FreeCAD code, ...
And that's the hard part. Somebody in the community needs to step up to do this sort of re-factoring, but we have nobody at the moment who is willing to do it.

For example, Kunda has been bumping the following thread for years in the hope that somebody can revive that project. So far no progress.

Alternative GUI for FreeCAD: Overlayed Layout (Devs needed)
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I'm interested in working on that but would need to clear my plate of some existing responsibilities first.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

vocx wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:58 pm For example, Kunda has been bumping the following thread for years in the hope that somebody can revive that project. So far no progress.
I guess you are talking about the gui topic.

I don't think we should work on a massive gui change. This should be part of freecad 2.0 or 3.0. There are endless other optimizations necessary before thinking about massive gui-changes.

In my mind we shouldn't change too much until 1.0. Fundamental changes are always difficult and need to be part of bigger version jumps. One example is the new-style modules/workbenches. Finding a way to introduce them without breaking anything is/was nearly impossible.
So for 1.0 we should not think about changing the currently working system too much. Better to think about possibilities to build on top of the current layer. On the python side there are several topics to adress. Then there are the massive changes from @realthunder which are not yet fully in master. Here is also a lot of optimization possible.

Talking about 1.0 at least means there shouldn't be massive changes shaking up the ecosystem.

Let's make a roadmap for 1.0. Try to fund this roadmap and get it done.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:23 pm I'm interested in working on that but would need to clear my plate of some existing responsibilities first.
great news. Are you talking about the musescore UI ?

Case Study: Musescore (FLOSS cross-platform sheetmusic/scorewriter) UI/UX

If I can help in lightening your workload I'd be happy to step in, but apparently you're a forum administrator, therefore the question is not so much about the amount of work but also about the responsibilities, about which other people decide.

Do you already have an idea how you/we/people could improve the FreeCAD UI code to make it more flexible / user-configurable ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

ok than we could jump to 0.91, this is not 1.0! for the next release, it will leave us ten more numbers to 1.0 ...
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

looo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:34 am ...
I don't think we should work on a massive gui change. This should be part of freecad 2.0 or 3.0. There are endless other optimizations necessary before thinking about massive gui-changes.

...On the python side there are several topics to adress. Then there are the massive changes from @realthunder which are not yet fully in master. Here is also a lot of optimization possible.

Talking about 1.0 at least means there shouldn't be massive changes shaking up the ecosystem.
Thank you! Very sensible comments as always. This resonates with me as well.

Why do we feel the need to bump to 1.0 when we haven't had enough time to test all of realthunder changes? I don't understand. These changes are massive, we need time to properly test many things before thinking about a truly tested and documented 1.0 version. This is why I think 5 years is sensible. After 0.19, we need another year for topological naming and fixes all over Assembly3 and Assembly4. From my own side in Draft/Arch, I would like some serious refactor, and given that it's only a few people doing the job, it takes a while.

The GUI is the least thing I would worry about. Maybe it can be done in Python easily, but if it needs some serious C++ code changes, it will take a while too.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bernd wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:10 pm ok than we could jump to 0.91, this is not 1.0! for the next release, it will leave us ten more numbers to 1.0 ...
But why? Using 0.91 means we will definitely have to do ten releases before 1.0.

If we just continue incrementally, 0.24, 0.25, 0.26, okay, now it's ready, 1.0. We do the jump immediately. We don't set ourselves for a definite timeline, we always leave it open, as we don't know what could happen in between. If you set 0.91 then we are more or less committing to that.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

vocx wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:13 am But why? Using 0.91 means we will definitely have to do ten releases before 1.0.
I don't think that is necessarily implied. I think Inkscape is a good example of this. Take a look at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inkscape#Release_history

In summary they jump for 0.48 → 0.91.x → 0.92.x → 1.0.0alpha - beta → 1.0.0
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:09 pm ...
In summary they jump for 0.48 → 0.91.x → 0.92.x → 1.0.0alpha - beta → 1.0.0
Of course, but what is the point of that?

We could as easily do, 0.21, 0.22, 0.23, 0.24, ---> 1.0.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

We just would have a highter version number. Since it would be a circle dependency I do not explain why I strongly would like to have a highter version number for FreeCAD. See first page of this topic ... https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 61#p370116