Discussion: FreeCAD is ready for (deserves) 1.0

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc

Discussion: FreeCAD is ready for (deserves) 1.0

Postby easyw-fc » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:18 pm

Sorry but it seems that the OP of a different thread didn't listen to what people asked.. :D
Last edited by easyw-fc on Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplus

Re: Discussion: FreeCAD is ready for 1.0

Postby triplus » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 pm

Yeah, i propose that both camps first blow off some steam:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43484
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43461

P.S. Around March we can start to conduct a more serious discussion.
easyw-fc

Postby easyw-fc » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:33 pm

yorik wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:37 pm
Many of us think that 1.0 should be when we have a proper Assembly WB. For all the people coming from mechanical design, this is a must-have.
Thanks to @realthunder Link merge it seems now we have Assembly3 alive & kicking...
https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... 89#p367467

Moreover we have A2+ which have many happy users and even Asm4 with LCS approach...
easyw-fc

Postby easyw-fc » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:11 pm

chrisb wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:38 am
1.0 is no certificate, nor does it assure the presence of any features. Of course there are people - and always will be - who absolutely cannot use FreeCAD for some missing feature or other reason. Today I tried to prepare my breakfast with FreeCAD and it miserably failed, if anyone can confirm I may create a ticket.
Of course we can make a list with features to be included before going 1.0, and we can think of metrics to measure the quality - which may turn out to be near to impossible for code, features, and user experience.
But we might as well save the time and just let it go. Saying FreeCAD cannot be used in a professional environment is a lie: it is used by members of this forum to make a living. Saying FreeCAD cannot be used to build great models is a lie: there are such models in the Showcase forum. Saying a software has to provide this feature and that before being called 1.0 is ... well you may guess it. Look at programs such as the Windows notepad. You could almost say it had no features at all, and it was included since more than 20 years.
This is why I would suggest to use 1.0 for next stable relase (the now 0.19 development)
  1. FreeCAD is used in a professional environment (it has its own way of make the job)
  2. FreeCAD is used to build complex and reliable models (Mechanics and Architectural Design)
  3. FreeCAD is used for mechanical interchange among different CAD systems
    (importing and exporting mechanical objects from/to the standard STEP format)
  4. FreeCAD is used for FEM and CFD computational jobs
  5. FreeCAD is used for create SheetMetal jobs
  6. FreeCAD is the reference MCAD for collaboration with KiCAD (ECAD)
  7. FreeCAD is the generator for the biggest 3D electronic library available
  8. FreeCAD is flexible, powerful and scriptable for many scientific environment
and many more...

Then the release 2.0 could be focused for tasks like:
  1. improve the Gui
  2. improve Assembly features
  3. improve the surface designing
  4. improve the topological issue (which is already less present than once)
  5. allow some absolutely missing feature (for some unhappy user)
  6. being superior to most expensive mechanical CADs
I'm always astonished seeing people coming late to FreeCAD forum/environment pretending to tell long time users/developers what is the right thing to do...
triplus wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 pm
P.S. Around March we can start to conduct a more serious discussion.
I'm posting here some reference to be explored later on.
triplus

Re: Discussion: FreeCAD is ready for (deserves) 1.0

Postby triplus » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:53 pm

I promised to read all the discussions, this one therefore being in favor of doing a FreeCAD 1.0 relese. Rationale being, FreeCAD is ready and FreeCAD deserves it. I noticed that not much, if any, opposition detected.

As this discussion is shorter in length i will add the following bit of reference here. After around 20 years of development, Blender is proposing to move to using a 3.0 version number and in two years time to reach 4.0:

https://code.blender.org/2020/02/releas ... 2020-2025/

Although FreeCAD and Blender main target audience is slightly different, one more CAD and other more 3D content creation oriented, they do share some common areas. One doesn't have to be an expert, to notice, both excel:

P.S. Image linked from the following thread.
triplus

Re: Discussion: FreeCAD is ready for (deserves) 1.0

Postby triplus » Sun May 31, 2020 5:43 am

I have just read:
After almost 17 years in the making, Inkscape 1.0 is out. Let's be fair: this is one of those cases when the humble version number doesn't nearly represent what's actually in the box. The software was perfectly usable right at the point of forking from Sodipodi back in 2003, I'm speaking as the eyewitness here. The v1.0 release should've happened years ago but the team took a very conservative approach.
http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entr ... kscape-1-0

Sounds and feels familiar.