CADCloud

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: CADCloud

Post by triplus »

Really nice (web) native viewing capabilities.

P.S. There is currently another ongoing effort, to basically stream FreeCAD. Maybe for editing purposes such approach could be explored?
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

triplus wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:16 pm Really nice (web) native viewing capabilities.

P.S. There is currently another ongoing effort, to basically stream FreeCAD. Maybe for editing purposes such approach could be explored?
Hi triplus,

Yes I have seen the streaming approach. I even tried and alternative to use some nodejs opencascade bridge to build some stuff. I am not convinced by the interest to stream FreeCAD in the end. Browser capabilities are still too limited, and one of the benefit of FreeCAD is to support many operating systems. Running the code client on native system is fast. One benefit of streaming is in the case you need a super powerful machine, but in that case services like Blade/Shadow can offer a very good alternative.

I am really focused on collaboration even if these features are not yet implemented, but they are coming.

vejmarie
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

fcaduser wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:02 pm Looks very promising. Sorry for this total newbie question, but I know little about the practice of cloud, the companies I used to work keep their precious data in house. What is your underlying fundamental idea, create a tool for setting a sort of github-like site but with tools more specialized and fitted for open-source FC projects ?

Github, for example, is perfect for hosting open-source code, but less convenient for hardware engineering projects ? Am I right ?
Yes you are right, github is text file oriented, that service is going to be CAD oriented, but with the same intend build a community of persons who can share their knowledge and enhance things. The complexity level is just slightly different due to the nature of the data that we have to handle.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

fcaduser wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:02 pm Looks very promising. Sorry for this total newbie question, but I know little about the practice of cloud, the companies I used to work keep their precious data in house.
Maybe better see CADCloud as some kind of GitLab for CAD.
I say GitLab (instead of GitHub) because in the same way there is are actually 2 things behind :
  • Either you can use a cloud-based instance of the CADCloud server (like gitlab.com is for GitLab). It may offer all kind of free/paid services
  • Or you can host your own instance of CADCloud and use it privately (like a company may host its own GitLab server)
fcaduser

Post by fcaduser »

@vejmarie+openbrain

OK, thank you for the explanation. I'm pretty sure the diffusion of the open-source concept into some domain of the hardware world will very slowly yet irremediably propagate. Good to see tools as support emerging.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Hey Jean-Marie,

I was fascinated by this idea at FOSDEM. It's very cool that you decided to open-source it.

Do you have any more documentation on deploying a private install? It might be cool for someone to build a docker image that anyone could put up quickly to experiment with or use in-house.

I'm looking for the cloud workbench referenced in the readme but not finding it. link?

It would be very cool if Part::Link could work with remote resources through an URL. Maybe I'm just dreaming though. :D
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

sliptonic wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:54 pm Hey Jean-Marie,

I was fascinated by this idea at FOSDEM. It's very cool that you decided to open-source it.

Do you have any more documentation on deploying a private install? It might be cool for someone to build a docker image that anyone could put up quickly to experiment with or use in-house.

I'm looking for the cloud workbench referenced in the readme but not finding it. link?

It would be very cool if Part::Link could work with remote resources through an URL. Maybe I'm just dreaming though. :D
I will try to build a container during the week-end. If I am unable to make it, it will have to wait for 2 weeks because I have to attend the OCP summit and need to move myself back from Europe to US. The Cloud workbench needs to be activated at compilation time -DBUILD_CLOUD=1 and it shall be included as a standard feature into your binaries tree.

I will have a look to support remote Link for Part::Link I think it is a great idea. I need to parallelize the download operations which are severely sequential and dependant of latency which is just frustrating with modern machin which could handles many threads.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

This is a really awesome project, @vejmarie!
Really glad too that you decided to open-source it. I'm sure there is a sound way to finance it even so (or even, especially because so!)

We definitely need to integrate this neatly into FreeCAD!

Just a cosmetic idea I had here, what would you think of allowing to use a same gradient background color as in FreeCAD? 8-)
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

How would you like feedback? Should i post here or create issues on your github repo?
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

yorik wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:26 pm Just a cosmetic idea I had here, what would you think of allowing to use a same gradient background color as in FreeCAD? 8-)
the ugly '80 blue one :shock: :?