How much interest is there to integrate LibreOffice into FreeCAD?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
usbhub

Re: How much interest is there to integrate LibreOffice into FreeCAD?

Post by usbhub »

I think, we should be clear about our exact goal of an integration. Is it to replace/improve/support Spreadsheet or is it to generate instruction manuals. I think for instruction manuals, a macro for LibreOffice that import TechDraw-Pages would be better and easier.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

usbhub wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:26 pm I think, we should be clear about our exact goal of an integration. Is it to replace/improve/support Spreadsheet or is it to generate instruction manuals. I think for instruction manuals, a macro for LibreOffice that import TechDraw-Pages would be better and easier.
I think we should let devs develop as they please. They just should be aware that ultimately the community/core-devs decide what goes in to core. If they build an external addon/workbench, then they can be a lot more independent.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

Could be interesting for import spreadsheet from librecad, but not more.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

GlouGlou wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:03 pm Could be interesting for import spreadsheet from librecad, but not more.
Read above, there is another usecase mentioned
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
salp

Post by salp »

usbhub wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:26 pm I think, we should be clear about our exact goal of an integration. Is it to replace/improve/support Spreadsheet or is it to generate instruction manuals. I think for instruction manuals, a macro for LibreOffice that import TechDraw-Pages would be better and easier.
The intention is to see how well LibreOffice can be integrated with FreeCAD, as Joel_graff pointed out up to now the limitation has been on the LibreOffice API. With Python 3 and the UNO module we can explore using not only the spreadsheet function but all that LibreOffice offers.

My intention is to start this as a macro and see where it goes from here.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

salp wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:51 pm The intention is to see how well LibreOffice can be integrated with FreeCAD, as Joel_graff pointed out up to now the limitation has been on the LibreOffice API. With Python 3 and the UNO module we can explore using not only the spreadsheet function but all that LibreOffice offers.

My intention is to start this as a macro and see where it goes from here.
There are other options as well, see https://pypi.org/search/?q=libreoffice
salp

Post by salp »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:59 pm There are other options as well, see https://pypi.org/search/?q=libreoffice
I saw the pypi site and used some of its modules to test, after researching this for a while I found that all available python solutions use UNO to interact with LibreOffice/OpenOffice.

I'll post the github link as soon as I get something in there.
salp

Post by salp »

I created a github repository https://github.com/myoldz/FC_LibreOffice.git

I'm not a programmer, so be patient.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

salp wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:32 am I created a github repository https://github.com/myoldz/FC_LibreOffice.git

I'm not a programmer, so be patient.
Awesome. Exciting stuff.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Over the years I developed and used quite a few solutions that were massive time savers. I did it with a proprietary CAD package and proprietary spreasheet. It would be great to have some integration as an external workbench probably. There are so many posible usage scenarios.. Generating reports from models is the obvious one. I used CAD+spreadsheet combo to genereate propably over 1000+ of drawings based on templates, to generate drawings with multiple repeating elements, to generate reports from title blocks of large number of drawings. More advanced user cases would be storing some external info about model parts in a database (i.e. pipework model linked externally to documentation, photos, certificates stored in a database). Another option would be "dumb" Assembly workbench storing location and coordinates of individual models in external database/spreadsheet.