Feature Request: Standing out icons.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jruiz

Feature Request: Standing out icons.

Postby jruiz » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:43 pm

Each time an object (body, part,...) is created, its parameters (position, offsets, ...) have default values and, depending on the project, some of them could be modified by the user. Don't you think it could be very helpful for the user to maintain their projects that in the model view the icons of the objects would have some kind of marks for standing out the objects with all default values in all of their parameters from those with some of them modified by the user?
Last edited by jruiz on Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
I have uploaded some FreeCAD video tutorials to www.youtube.com/yosoyvenezolano
chrisb

Re: Feature Request: Standing out icons.

Postby chrisb » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:04 am

I frequently use objects and leave everything at the defaults - but only for demonstration purposes. In real models I cannot remember to have ever left an object completely at its defaults.
However, It would be very helpful to have e.g. a different font for properties which are changed by the user. It remains the question how values which are preset according to individual preferences should be shown.
vocx

Postby vocx » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:14 am

chrisb wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:04 am
However, It would be very helpful to have e.g. a different font for properties which are changed by the user.
This is a good idea. The Qt Designer program, which is used to build .ui interfaces (task panels and such) for FreeCAD, has this.

With Qt Designer you can add widgets to an empty window. All those widgets have properties that you can inspect and change. As soon as you change a default property, the name of the property becomes bold.
Property_editor_changed_properties.png
Property_editor_changed_properties.png (31.42 KiB) Viewed 222 times
Each property field also has a button that can be pressed to restore the property to its default value, at which point the property becomes non-bold again. This is pretty convenient to quickly see which properties where modified, and which are at their default value (possibly inherited from parent widget classes).
Property_editor_changed_properties_default.png
Property_editor_changed_properties_default.png (30.73 KiB) Viewed 222 times
I think this can definitely be implemented in FreeCAD, as we use the same Qt libraries that Qt Designer uses. It would have to be done by Werner, realthunder, or someone who understand well the code of the property editor, inside src/Gui/PropertyView.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
jruiz

Postby jruiz » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:04 am

Don't you think that if both kind of marks are implemented:
  1. A mark on the icon of the modified objects: for a "global" inspection of the project and
  2. A change in (for example) boldface type of the name of modified property parameter: for a detailed inspection
would help a lot in maintaining the projects?
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:26 pm

vocx wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:14 am
I think this can definitely be implemented in FreeCAD
That would be great.
I recently tried to find out why my model failed while the (seemingly) same from another user worked well. Such a feature would have made the search a fingersnip.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:30 pm

jruiz wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:04 am
Does this occur really often, that no property at all is changed from the default value? Can you give some real life use cases?
jruiz

Postby jruiz » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:38 pm

chrisb wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:30 pm
jruiz wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:04 am
Does this occur really often, that no property at all is changed from the default value? Can you give some real life use cases?
As I see it, this situation could happen, for example, to some bodies integrating a project consisting on:
  1. A part with some bodies.
  2. A group of parts with bodies.
Some of the bodies could "rest" their default positions (may be the ones serving as references), meanwhile other would have to be "moved" to be coupled adequately to ther rest of ther project
DeepSOIC

Postby DeepSOIC » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:59 pm

chrisb wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:30 pm
if you ignore all hidden properties, there can be quite a few. Origins, imported shapes, defeaturing, sketches, shapebinders, spreadsheets... Most viewproviders are not modified by me, except for visibility.

Properties are the main mechanism of data storage, so I doubt there exists a single object that has literally all properties at their defaults. Even a newly created cube already has its Shape property set to some non-default value (the default is null shape; the shape of the cube is generated individually for that cube in the course of recompute).

So it's more of a question "what counts as a property" and "what is the default". Group properties of Part and Body objects are not hidden, but they are not intended for direct modification, but are rather modified by FreeCAD as you add or remove objects from/to these containers. So, should they count as modified or not?
vocx

Postby vocx » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:09 pm

DeepSOIC wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:59 pm
... but are rather modified by FreeCAD as you add or remove objects from/to these containers. So, should they count as modified or not?
I think yes. Every object that can be inserted by itself, like when you click on Std_Part or PartDesign Body, has default properties. Everything that you do after that counts as a modified property. A non-empty Group would mean a modified Group property.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
jruiz

Postby jruiz » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:41 pm

Well, at the time I send this request, I was thinking on Attachment Offsets and Placement appearing in the Property view. I think that some times it could happen that modifications in these fields could be disregarded if not all necessary care is taken.
Maybe I have to remake the question. (...or forget requesting marks on the icons...)