Feature Request: Modifying used precision.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jruiz

Feature Request: Modifying used precision.

Post by jruiz »

Could the be any possibility of implementing an option for modifying the used precision when crating (for example) curved objects?
Please correct me if I am wrong:
When (in for example the sketcher) a circle is selected to be created, a closed regular polygon is drawn, being the length of its sides (or the involved angles ) settled down by the program (FreeCAD), because of this, some times unwished effects arise and they could be solved by controlling the mentioned precision.
Last edited by Kunda1 on Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed typo in thread title
I have uploaded many FreeCAD video tutorials to my YouTube channel
ickby
Veteran

Re: Feature Request: Modifying used precision.

Post by ickby »

Freecad internally works with exact mathematically representations, hence there is no real precision involved ( only when combining individual entities into complex shapes, but that is a different topic). What you see in sketcher is a pure visualisation issue: 3d graphics only do triangles and lines, hence this tesselation. If you want it finer select the object or sketch in the tree, go to property editor view tab and change the deviation settings. You can also set the default value for new objects in the preferences.
jruiz

Re: Feature Request: Modifying used precision.

Post by jruiz »

ickby wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:05 pm Freecad internally works with exact mathematically representations, hence there is no real precision involved ( only when combining individual entities into complex shapes, but that is a different topic). What you see in sketcher is a pure visualisation issue: 3d graphics only do triangles and lines, hence this tesselation. If you want it finer select the object or sketch in the tree, go to property editor view tab and change the deviation settings. You can also set the default value for new objects in the preferences.
Thanks a lot. Very good information.
I am wondering if the unwished behavior I found was because of rounding or truncation error... Gonna try to solve.
Regards.
I have uploaded many FreeCAD video tutorials to my YouTube channel