AppImage - Include auto-updating logic in to appimage directly?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: AppImage - Include auto-updating logic in to appimage directly?

Post by Kunda1 »

antonyjr wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:30 am @looo This line -> https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... dle.sh#L74 is the culprit for the updater to fail.

The $DEPLOY_RELEASE is always empty, it should be 0.19_pre for development build and change according to type of build. This is causing to fail the AppImage delta update on any AppImage delta update tool.
Hi Antonyjr :)
Clarification: what do you mean by 'always empty'? Are you saying the way it's setup now that variable (is it an environmental variable?) is that it's empty but shouldn't be because something isn't configured? Or are you saying that we should hardcode the version number instead ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
antonyjr

Post by antonyjr »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:00 pm
antonyjr wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:30 am @looo This line -> https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... dle.sh#L74 is the culprit for the updater to fail.

The $DEPLOY_RELEASE is always empty, it should be 0.19_pre for development build and change according to type of build. This is causing to fail the AppImage delta update on any AppImage delta update tool.
Clarification: what do you mean by 'always empty'? Are you saying the way it's setup now that variable (is it an environmental variable?) is that it's empty but shouldn't be because something isn't configured? Or are you saying that we should hardcode the version number instead ?
I mean the $DEPLOY_RELEASE environmental variable is somehow turns out to be empty. I guess there is some difficulties migrating from Travis-CI to Github Actions.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

antonyjr wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:26 pm

I mean the $DEPLOY_RELEASE environmental variable is somehow turns out to be empty. I guess there is some difficulties migrating from Travis-CI to Github Actions.

I guess I missed this part. Will have a look tomorrow.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... yml.tmp#L4
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

antonyjr wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:26 pm

hopefully this solves the issue:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... f911604cf2
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

looo wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:04 am hopefully this solves the issue:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... f911604cf2
I guess we can only test the build after this next one.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Should the 0.19-pre builds update to the 0.20-pre builds?
hmk

Post by hmk »

For the record, this is what I see when I try incremental updating with the latest image:

Code: Select all

/appimageupdatetool-x86_64.AppImage -O FreeCAD_0.19-24267-Linux-Conda_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage 
Checking for updates...
Fetching release information for tag "" from GitHub API.
GitHub API request failed!
Could not find any artifacts in release data. Please contact the author of the AppImage and tell them the files are missing on the releases page.
ZSync URL not available. See previous messages for details.
Update check failed, exiting!
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

looo wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:32 pm Should the 0.19-pre builds update to the 0.20-pre builds?
I assume so. But there is no 0.20_pre tag yet
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:29 pm
looo wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:32 pm Should the 0.19-pre builds update to the 0.20-pre builds?
I assume so. But there is no 0.20_pre tag yet
I guess some disconnection with the updating tool won't be avoidable. For the updating process, it would be best if we remove the version from the naming-scheme and call the bundles FreeCAD_<commit_nr>*.Appimage
antonyjr

Post by antonyjr »

hmk wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:04 pm For the record, this is what I see when I try incremental updating with the latest image:

/appimageupdatetool-x86_64.AppImage -O FreeCAD_0.19-24267-Linux-Conda_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage 
Checking for updates...
Fetching release information for tag "" from GitHub API.
GitHub API request failed!
Could not find any artifacts in release data. Please contact the author of the AppImage and tell them the files are missing on the releases page.
ZSync URL not available. See previous messages for details.
Update check failed, exiting!
This was caused by the transition from Travis-CI to Github Action at FreeCAD. You can fix this with this one liner. You should have a wget,python3 and curl installed.

Open a Terminal and Go to the location of your FreeCAD application and execute the following command.

$ cd /path/to/FreeCAD-AppImage/
 $ bash <(curl -s https://git.io/JqTBd)