Vetting the new Mechatronic WB

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1

Vetting the new Mechatronic WB

Postby Kunda1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:32 am

Any devs beside (@vocx) care to vet https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44498 ?
...for the purpose of including it in to the Addon Manager.
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
vocx

Re: Vetting the new Mechatronic WB

Postby vocx » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:58 pm

Kunda1 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:32 am
Any devs beside (@vocx) care to vet https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44498 ?
By the way, I would expect at least a bit more participation from the author.

If he just presents his workbench, but doesn't post anything else, I feel he's just a hit and run developer. Ideally there should be another page in Open discussion where he would provide support, or discuss further development; that is, it shouldn't all be done in the Announcement section.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
Zolko

Postby Zolko » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:53 pm

Kunda1 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:32 am
If I could, I would vote against including it: it's not a proper workbench, it's a library. It should extend the FreeCAD library.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD v0.19
install with Tools > Addon Manager > Assembly4 — tutorials here and here
vocx

Postby vocx » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:27 pm

Zolko wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:53 pm
If I could, I would vote against including it: it's not a proper workbench, it's a library. It should extend the FreeCAD library.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. It's a workbench as much as the Fasteners workbench is a workbench. All workbenches are libraries in some sense, because they provide additional functions that aren't provided by the base system.

The Fasteners workbench works the same, it defines new objects, and some programming interfaces to create parametric objects that can be inserted into projects.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
Zolko

Postby Zolko » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:01 pm

vocx wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:27 pm
The Fasteners workbench works the same
a workbench is supposed to be a collection of generic tools to solve an entire class of problems: that's exactly what the Fasteners workbench does. This workbench here is the result of 1 post by 1 person showing 1 problem. The Fasteners workbench provides the entire ISO class of screws, bolts and washers. This library provides a random collection of special parts.

So no, it's not, in its current form, meaningful as a FreeCAD Addon workbench.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD v0.19
install with Tools > Addon Manager > Assembly4 — tutorials here and here
vocx

Postby vocx » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 pm

Zolko wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:01 pm
a workbench is supposed to be a collection of generic tools to solve an entire class of problems...
That's entirely debatable. A workbench can be as general or as specific as the author wants. As long as it's useful and it provides extended functions, it can be considered a workbench. Many of the workbenches included in the Addon Manager are like that.