[Opinion needed][Sketcher] General settings management & behavior

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: [Opinion needed][Sketcher] General settings management & behavior

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:04 pm ...
I ping you, but it is general for all users.

The PR I have just merged makes the sketcher grid respect the property setting again. It has happened to me that in sketches where I had worked with grid, now no grid is shown. The reason is that the show grid property was set to false (but the sketcher was not obeying it). I comment it here just in case there are reports in the help forum.

If you happen to find anything odd, of course report it here (ping me), and I will provide a fix.
iyd2019

Post by iyd2019 »

openBrain wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:05 am
chrisb wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:41 pm This is definitely an improvement over the current situation. But I would like to go one step further in the discussion.
Thanks for feedback. How about a more flexible solution? :)
Would that fit your need if I add a global setting "Always use default settings to edit a sketch"?
I prefer Chrisb reasoning and I agree with him. Configurations of the "editor" should VERY rarely go into a file itself: you config the editor, not the contents.

JMHO
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

abdullah wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:41 pm I ping you, but it is general for all users.
I will check, when it is in the precompiled version.
iyd2019 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:18 pm Configurations of the "editor" should VERY rarely go into a file itself: you config the editor, not the contents.
Of course I agree on your agreement with my opinion, but in case of the grid the situation is a bit different. I can think of situations where just for certain sketches the grid is helpful, but it is much more important, that the grid size should be individual for the sketch. I can well think of a large scale master sketch and detail sketches which need very different grids.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.