novel coronavirus, COVID-19

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

novel coronavirus, COVID-19

Post by jmaustpc »

All of us around the world have been, are currently and/or will soon be effected by this horrible coronavirus pandemic and/or its consequences.

I am confident that I speak for all of us when I say that we offer our deepest sympathy to those who have lost friends, family, loved ones.

For those who are ill or are in financial distress, we wish you the best of luck and hope that all will eventually work out alright.

For those who are just bored in isolation/quarantine etc. we wish you well .....and hope that you will relieve your boredom by working more on FreeCAD! :)

For myself, I am feeling quite emotionally exhausted, after years of drought followed by the largest/longest/most intense bushfire season in our history, ended in some regions by a flood and then this pandemic ... it just feels relentless. However I deserve no sympathy at all when compared to others around the world with regards to this pandemic. Australia seems so far to have acted quickly and strongly enough to reduce the impact and spread of the virus to the point where we have had over 6 thousand cases but only had 61 deaths so far. We have a population of only about 25 million but even on a per capita basis, that is a good result over the time period since our first cases. Also being isolated on a farm in the Australian bush is mostly quite pleasant and little different to most of my pre-pandemic days, except I get the added bonus of keeping my 4 teenage daughters (who's company I enjoy...mostly :) ) on the farm with me. :) Unfortunately my wife is a nurse so I am obviously very worried about her health if we get an outbreak in the area.

Best wishes to all of you.

Jim
Zolko
Veteran

Re: novel coronavirus, COVID-19

Post by Zolko »

jmaustpc wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:19 am this horrible coronavirus pandemic and/or its consequences.
years of drought followed by the largest/longest/most intense bushfire season in our history
can we please stop this madness to pin political and catastrophist messages on the forefront of the forum ? This has nothing to do with FreeCAD, and there are billions of human beings on this planet who are in a much worse situation than these reported. Lepra, malaria, cholera, wars and famine rage the world, why do we have to hear only about some 1-st world people ? Get over it and suffer in silence, as we all do.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The topic isn't pinned, but with the rest you are not wrong. However, it has become a pleasant tradition that extra longterm member Jim here occasionally reports something from his life beyond FreeCAD. He is the exception to the rule.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

jmaustpc wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:19 am Get over it and suffer in silence, as we all do.
I disagree. When we go to work, we talk to our co-workers about what's happening around us. We talk to our families about the things we have in common. We go to our churches, clubs, bowling leagues, and parties and we share what's happening in our lives. Why not here?

FreeCAD is really important to me. Not just as a tool but as a community. I really like the people here and have gotten to know many of them personally. If the discussion is exclusively and adamantly about the software, the place becomes sterile. It lacks any personal connection and I don't want that to happen. I don't think the forum should devolve into a free-for-all and I'll be the first one to call for shutting down intolerant or politically motivated diatribes but open discussion is just that...open.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:30 pm The topic isn't pinned,
Actually the topic is set as "announcement" which makes it appear on top of each subforum. I should say that I also don't like it much because this thread has no direct link to FC software and newcomers probably don't feel really concerned.
However I find it good that this kind of community thread is here as long as it doesn't turn to debatable things like politics opinion or so. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

openBrain wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:27 am Actually the topic is set as "announcement"
I had missed that.
jmaustpc wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:19 am Best wishes to all of you.
Same to you, wife and daughters included!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

jmaustpc wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:19 am Best wishes to all of you.

Jim
Hey Jim, are you this one ? :lol:

Stay safe everybody, with special thought for all those who are (themselves or living with) first need workers : healthcare heroes, food producers, truck drivers, food store employees, policemen, ...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@jmaustpc thanks for bringing the human aspect of the FC community to the forefront. I really do enjoy your posts and I agree with @chrisb that you are the exception to the rule based on your veteran standing in the community and that I feel your posts (like this) are genuine and mindful.

I also agree fully with @sliptonic, I'm not interested in this forum becoming 'sterile', I'll go further in saying that since the engineering/math disciplines attracts higher forms of functioning autism (ii.e. Aspergers) it's important (IMHO) to have some sliver of percentage of content within this forum be non-rational/emotional. Of course, if I read carefully through @Zolko's harsh criticism and extract the concern he has, I understand that there is a slippery slope in discussing political/social issues on the forum (this is true in any context where human congregate, unfortunately ;) ).

This global pandemic effects us all and I see some space in the forum, for the duration of time the pandemic goes on, to merit mentioning it as @jmaustpc has (in a heartfelt, genuine and responsible manner).
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

sliptonic wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:26 pm
jmaustpc wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:19 am Get over it and suffer in silence, as we all do.
I disagree. When we go to work, we talk to our co-workers about what's happening around us. We talk to our families about the things we have in common. We go to our churches, clubs, bowling leagues, and parties and we share what's happening in our lives. Why not here?

FreeCAD is really important to me. Not just as a tool but as a community. I really like the people here and have gotten to know many of them personally. If the discussion is exclusively and adamantly about the software, the place becomes sterile. It lacks any personal connection and I don't want that to happen. I don't think the forum should devolve into a free-for-all and I'll be the first one to call for shutting down intolerant or politically motivated diatribes but open discussion is just that...open.
+1
Gruß Herbert
fmluizao

Post by fmluizao »

openBrain wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:27 am Actually the topic is set as "announcement" which makes it appear on top of each subforum. I should say that I also don't like it much because this thread has no direct link to FC software and newcomers probably don't feel really concerned.
I found a bit strange too... I know people are suffering (me too), and this is an amazing comunity, but it feels like its in the wrong place.
openBrain wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:27 am However I find it good that this kind of community thread is here as long as it doesn't turn to debatable things like politics opinion or so. ;)
What about creating an off-topic subforum to discuss issues not related about FC, but concerning the community?