Feature request: Skip recompute of non-visible parts or bodies

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TomB19

Feature request: Skip recompute of non-visible parts or bodies

Post by TomB19 »

I use spreadsheets to create parameterized models, exclusively. It sounds like this is an expected usage model.

Often, the description of a problem is contained in a spreadsheet that spawns multiple parts.

For example:

I have a design for a foot for a vintage turntable. This foot file contains four parts. All parts are modelled from the same 20, or so, parameters.

- foot body (Main part made out of PETG)
- bellows (it's a suspension foot with a spring so it has a soft bellows made of TPU)
- pad (soft pad so as to not mar the stand surface made of TPU)
- centering washer (small washer made of PLA)

The parts are all related. If I increase the OD of the foot, the bellows needs to adapt and the pad also changes. If I change the diameter of the fastener that holds it to the table, the washer and bellows will adapt.

It works great and is a great way to organize a very small number of related parts. The problem is, even a tiny project like a turntable foot causes my machine to grind to a halt, each time anything changes, even if it doesn't affect other parts.

It would be helpful to be able to turn off recompute for non-visible bodies.