fully constrained sketch... or not?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Janosik

fully constrained sketch... or not?

Post by Janosik »

Hi all,
I want to start by saying that I'm absolutely new to FC, so maybe I'm just doing something wrong, maybe I'm misunderstanding something, or... maybe I'm having trouble wit a bug in FC...

If I understand correctly, a 'fully constrained sketch' means that it can be drawn in ONLY ONE WAY.

I now have a sketch, based on some numbers in a spreadsheet.
The value of the first cell can be freely chosen; the other cells are calculated by multiplying the first number with a certain factor.
Changing the first value will change the other values, but their ratio remains the same.

Changing the value in relatively small steps (usually) works fine, but when I change it in one big step, the sketch gets corrupted...

The sketch in the video below (about 4 minutes long) is isolated from a bigger project I'm working on.
I have tried constraining it in dozens different ways, but there's always something that goes wrong...
phpBB [video]
freedman
Veteran

Re: fully constrained sketch... or not?

Post by freedman »

There is no golden rule that a sketch has to be fully constrained. It does make for a better understood, documented, locked in place, non-changable unless you change a number sketch. Are you getting broken constraints?
If I understand correctly, a 'fully constrained sketch' means that it can be drawn in ONLY ONE WAY.

Yes, I would say that's correct, "it can only be drawn to that size".
Last edited by freedman on Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
kisolre
Veteran

Re: fully constrained sketch... or not?

Post by kisolre »

Fully constrained does not mean it will have only one solution. From @ChrisB sketcher lecture:
A sketch is said to be solved, if all constraints are fulfilled and there is no other ”near-bysolution”, i.e. you cannot move some part of the sketch continuously while the solution is
still valid. This condition is a bit complicated, because a sketch can well be marked as solved
although the solution is not unique.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30104