[Feature request] About axis cross.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Syres
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] About axis cross.

Post by Syres »

openBrain wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:24 pm Just 2 remarks :
  • Before creating a new setting accessible in the Preferences dialog, I think it should be thought if this is something useful for a majority of users. If this option is used only by a few ones, it can live as an hidden setting only accessible through the Parameters editor (and of course be documented in Fine-tuning)
  • In the 2 'getBool()' functions, you set the default value (used if setting isn't defined) to 'true'. I'd have set it to 'false' so current behavior is preserved when upgrading. ;)
Thanks for looking over the proposed changes, with regard to:

1) I'll leave that decision up to those who actually think this is a useful feature.

2) This is bit more of a split decision, the existing code in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... c.cpp#L432 already sets it to True when you use File>New. I'd never even heard of this functionality until a few days ago (in nearly 3 years of using FreeCAD) and mine was set to True so in the distant past I'd used File>New and it had been set at that point. It's the point IMHO that @hammax and @FCADUSER are trying to make in that why has File>New had it set for years and the rest of the Gui not been inline with it.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Syres wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:51 pm 2) This is bit more of a split decision, the existing code in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... c.cpp#L432 already sets it to True when you use File>New.
Actually not. It reads the setting and activate the cross if the parameter is true. But as you can see from the API documentation, when 'GetBool()' is called without the 2nd parameter, it returns 'false' if the setting doesn't exist. ;)
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Syres wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:53 am With regard to the Techdraw bug, if you use the attached file as a test. Start FreeCAD and click the Create New thumbnail in Start Wb and then close the new file so you've an empty window. Now use the File menu > Open and now navigate to the test file and open it. The tab with the Techdraw Page was saved in focus so there needs to be the C++ equivalent to the Python bit that I used to get the correct sub window before applying the ShowAxisCross command.
No problem present in my branch, I set the axis cross to true when creating a 3D View. In your code, what happens when you create new views or switch the current tab to undocked or fullscreen? my branch also tackles that, would you mind having a look at my changes giving your opinion?
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comp ... s?expand=1

What do you think is the best approach? I see you only set the axiscross state when the parameter value changes, is the axis cross visible when you open documents?

About the preference page, I think adding the option is trivial and I don't think burrying preferences in an obscure parameter is a good idea.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Probably best for me to leave it in your capable hands, you can submit a PR and see what the feedback is from Werner.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Well I'm not much experienced at all this either but ok, I'll submit a PR shortly.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

fcaduser

Post by fcaduser »

Thank you. So much time will be saved !