[Proposal] Create construction geometry when doing filet

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
KrwawyHegemon

[Proposal] Create construction geometry when doing filet

Post by KrwawyHegemon »

I have sketcher proposal.

When we have constraints on corner, on which we want put a fillet, they will be deleted after doing that.

Maybe it will be nice if putting a fillet will create construction geometry with will take already present constrained so nothing will change in sketch beside one unconstrained arch.

It would help if we first created desired shape but later decided to put a fillet on some corners.
It can be added as an option in one icon like in arch or circle.
And similar option for chamfer, would be very useful for me.
Fully constrained shape
Fully constrained shape
Before.jpeg (41.18 KiB) Viewed 857 times
After filet, previous shape loose constraint and can be accidentally altered
After filet, previous shape loose constraint and can be accidentally altered
After.jpeg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 857 times
After proposal shape would be almost constrained so we need only chose filet size
After proposal shape would be almost constrained so we need only chose filet size
After proposal.jpeg (40.77 KiB) Viewed 857 times
Last edited by KrwawyHegemon on Sat May 30, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Proposal] Create construction geometry when doing filet

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Your images are not visible. Please attach them directly to the post.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

KrwawyHegemon wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:00 am Sorry for Links insted of photos.
I do not know why but links from Google drive are not visible in Image
Links do not work. You need the actually upload the images using the "Attachments" tab when you create the post.

I did look at the google drive images. It is possible that there might be some use in a few cases, but in many cases that sort of automatic construction geometry creation would just create needless clutter.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I wouldn't need this too, and as far as I can remember I haven't seen such construction geometry here in the forum. So I would not like to see a specialized function for this special use case. You can, of course, create such geomery manually, so the absence of such a function does not limit your sketching.

You may upload a real life example of a fully constrained sketch using this. Perhaps (not sure about this!) your constraining can be easily changed, so that you don't need such geometry at all.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
KrwawyHegemon

Post by KrwawyHegemon »

Thanks for idea how to attach photos.
I have edited first post to express better what i would want propose.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

I would also like this as a second fillet/chamfer tools - lets say smart/predictive/... fillet/chamfer. In general vertex removal should be made smarter. Since you usually dont select a specific vertex from a set of coincident ones - solver works regardless of which one is selected - when removing an item which contains the one used you usually lose that dimension or brake the coincidence chain. In your example imagine the vertex where the edges meet was also a center of some arcs and the actual dimension was applied to one of those centers. When you fillet the edges since there is no dimension applied to any of their vertices the new fillet will not create that geometry because there is no need to keep that point. So it should be smart enough to recognize the several coincident vertices and that some of them have dimensions applied and keep that relations.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

KrwawyHegemon wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:00 am I have sketcher proposal.
Solidworks has integrated this function in the Sketcher, see:
https://help.solidworks.com/2020/Englis ... Redirect=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymSaAXAHSPg

For Chrisb, sometimes you criticize that people mention other CAD systems when someone comes with a feature request. Take the example of Diameter in the Sketcher. I can still remember the arguments people used to give me why you don't need this, even if other CAD systems have it. Today we have it and everyone thinks it's good. To make it clear, I don't want a copy of Solidworks or Creo, but you can look at what tools they have that simplify the designer's life.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
KrwawyHegemon

Post by KrwawyHegemon »

I am biotechnologist without any previous experience with cad systems, option like this just seems intuitive and naturall.
This is probably the reason that like freecad-heini-1 said Solidworks have it.

I know that every thing can be made in many different ways.
Ussualy after creating a sketch with key dimensions of my shape i am looking a way to improve its printivnes.
I agree that it is possible to draw every thing at once.
But often i am drawing without final conception witch is born in process. So if after that i will decide to add fillet in sketch it would be nice to not be obligated to rebuild net of constrains.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:05 am For Chrisb, sometimes you criticize that people mention other CAD systems when someone comes with a feature request. Take the example of Diameter in the Sketcher. I can still remember the arguments people used to give me why you don't need this, even if other CAD systems have it. Today we have it and everyone thinks it's good. To make it clear, I don't want a copy of Solidworks or Creo, but you can look at what tools they have that simplify the designer's life.
I didn't mention any other system here, so you must have seen something in your glass ball which hasn't happened yet. Or is your argument that if I was wrong in the past I will be so forever in the future too?

Of course we can and should be inspired by other systems. But the source of our reasoning shouldn't be another tool, but rather what the tool produces. So I asked for use cases, and you may have well noticed, that I have done so before. And in quite some cases people came up with very reasonable and convincing use cases.
Showing the users manual of some other system is not convincing in itself. A model where this is needed would be. And the slot shown in the video doesn't really show more than OP has asked for.

You may even have noticed, that I explicitely said in my previous post, that I'm not sure about the current set of possibilities being sufficient.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

KrwawyHegemon wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:11 am But often i am drawing without final conception witch is born in process. So if after that i will decide to add fillet in sketch it would be nice to not be obligated to rebuild net of constrains.
Although I am modeling like this quite often myself, I am no friend of lifting this to a design principle. Good sketching is not a trivial thing, but the end goal should from my point of view always be a clearly structured sketch. This means it is not sufficient to me if the sketch is somehow correct and hopefully fully constrained.
I have reworked quite some horrible messy sketches here in the forum, and I can't think of a single one where the original sketch was ever defended of showing the way to go.