New Feature Idea - Sketch Name on Sketch's property list

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx

Re: New Feature Idea - Sketch Name on Sketch's property list

Postby vocx » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:59 am

I still have no idea what this thread is about. The title is confusing, "Sketch Name on Sketch's property".

What does this even mean?

It seems to me you were confused about the "Name" and "Label", but I think that distinction is solved in your other thread, so I don't really understand the purpose of this thread.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
kisolre

Postby kisolre » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:11 am

Maybe the idea is to display Sketch Label (if it is set) in the features Property? And since it is already the case maybe just reverse the order - display Label as main text and put sketch internal name in brackets - FrontPlane (Sketch032)?
adrianinsaval

Postby adrianinsaval » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:58 pm

Intenal name is already shown in the status bar
leoheck wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:42 pm
Right now, the name does not mean anything. No one actually uses it.
Just because you don't use it doesn't mean is not used ;) . I use it quite often and it helps me identify what each sketch (and feature) is, but the program cannot automatically give meaningful names to the sketch, you have to change the label and put a name that means something, for example pinHoleProf for a sketch used in a pocket named pinHole that is, you guessed it, a hole for a pin.
openBrain wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:45 pm
Did you know there is a search function in the tree view ? Just set focus on the tree view and enter 'Ctrl+F', then in the search field that appears you can enter the object name (even partially) and you'll get an updated list of matching objects. Selecting a proposal will locate the object in the tree, pressing Enter will select it and close the search box.
If you want to search with the label, you have to enclose it in between '<<' and '>>'. ;)
It seems this doesn't work in the standalone tree view widget, I don't know why
openBrain

Postby openBrain » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:06 pm

adrianinsaval wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:58 pm
It seems this doesn't work in the standalone tree view widget, I don't know why
IIRC, this is implemented in the naviTab so I'm not surprised this is only available in the Combo Box tree. ;)