CNC Machined Part Production

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
marcin_ose

CNC Machined Part Production

Post by marcin_ose »

Does anyone here produce CNC-machined parts? We need simple heat sinks for our 3D printer extruders - like this https://wiki.opensourceecology.org/wiki ... uder#Intro

The simple fan heat sink that we need in units of 100 is

https://wiki.opensourceecology.org/wiki ... chdraw.jpg

Let me know if you can provide a quote, or suggestions on where we could get this made in the USA. We will be expanding production to other areas, so other localized suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks,
Marcin
Founder, Open Source Ecology
http://opensourceecology.org/
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: CNC Machined Part Production

Post by sliptonic »

I'm not far from you (Columbia, MO). I have a small home shop and could make these in relatively small volume.

If you scale up, you could possibly touch bases with Thermavant, also in Columbia MO. They're way beyond this but specialize in custom thermal solutions.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Also, your drawing doesn't have any tolerance specified, so I'm qualifying my ability to make them.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

May I ask why files produces 2020 year are still made with FreeCAD 0.16R6712 (Git)? At least Simpleextruderassy.fcstd is...
marcin_ose

Post by marcin_ose »

kisolre wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:47 pm May I ask why files produces 2020 year are still made with FreeCAD 0.16R6712 (Git)? At least Simpleextruderassy.fcstd is...
FreeCAD 16 is easier to use, so we prefer it for entry-level workflows in order to onboard newcomers to our project readily.

This brings up a question to this community - what are your thoughts on the simplicity of the basic workflow without body objects - can it be said that FreeCAD 16 is easier to learn for a novice? We just use basic design from sketcher to extrusions, and then use merge workflow instead of assembly workflow for making more complex assemblies. This works great, and is scalable to thousands of people working concurrently on complex design, without any assembly workflows. Pending clear knowledge of part libraries and modular breakdown so that everyone is aware where each part goes and where to upload the part.
Founder, Open Source Ecology
http://opensourceecology.org/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

marcin_ose wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:08 pm what are your thoughts on the simplicity of the basic workflow without body objects - can it be said that FreeCAD 16 is easier to learn for a novice? We just use basic design from sketcher to extrusions, and then use merge workflow instead of assembly workflow for making more complex assemblies.
If you don't have dependencies between the objects 0.16 provides a very clean workflow. However, Sketcher has received very important improvements and bugfixes since 0.16.

If you really have only extrusions you may consider to use a more recent FreeCAD with the extrusions of the Part workbench.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

marcin_ose wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:08 pm ...We just use basic design from sketcher to extrusions, and then use merge workflow ...
What you describe can also be done with newer versions of FreeCAD. It seems you have the erroneous impression that with v0.17 and above you must use a PartDesign Body, but this is not the case, the Part Workbench is still available, and even has more tools than in previous versions.

What you describe seems to be the constructive solid geometry (CSG) workflow. That workflow is still available, it hasn't changed at all, and as I said, it's even better now because all tools have become better.

So, I really recommend you to upgrade, because the new features really make it worth it.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.