Dedicated Website for Orienting Newcomers: "Switch2OSM" for FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Dedicated Website for Orienting Newcomers: "Switch2OSM" for FreeCAD

Post by kkremitzki »

The OpenStreetMap project is a large-scale community effort that is worth paying attention to in terms of things we could adopt. One such idea I noticed is having a dedicated resource to helping people orient themselves as they switch from less freedom-respecting mapping options like Google Maps:

https://switch2osm.org/

Making something like this for FreeCAD would be a nice effort.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Dedicated Website for Orienting Newcomers: "Switch2OSM" for FreeCAD

Post by Kunda1 »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:23 am Making something like this for FreeCAD would be a nice effort.
This is great. We should fork it and make one for FC immediately :)

Edit: https://github.com/switch2osm/switch2osm.github.io
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:23 am Making something like this for FreeCAD would be a nice effort.
Can we fork it and host it as a site on github ?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Since we would have to cut out most of the content that doesn't apply to us, it's probably too early to put it under the FreeCAD namespace, but it should be possible for anyone who wants to work on it to fork that repo and set up a GitHub Pages instance to work on it.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Does FreeCAD have a 'staging' namespace we could use ?

Also, the idea is to populate FreeCAD Managing Expectations page with the content that will eventually be added to this future website.

We should do some deep digging in the forum and find eloquent and level-headed responses that have been given over the years to these FAQs (or FOGs Frequent Opinions Given :oops: ). Forum veterans that come to mind would be @chrisb, @abdullah, yourself, @sliptonic, @wmayer (even though he sporadically comments on such things) etc...

The idea is not to be too tongue-in-cheek but also represent FOSS in a way that captivates respect (the prototypical ad nauseam argument that every most FOSS projects and their communities encounter :roll: )
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Hmm, not that I know of, AFAIK GitHub Pages are 1 per account or per org.