Using ThreadProfile workbench for bottle threads

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Using ThreadProfile workbench for bottle threads

Post by drmacro »

Hackaday.com posted an article about making bottle threads: Learn The Secrets Of Matching Bottle Cap Threads To One Another

The article notes that most bottle threads are standardized. It links to a calculator that has presets for the standards and also allows the user to enter measured threads if needed. Bottle cap thread calculator

I tried using some of the presets with ThreadProfile workbench (just set the pitch and diameter after adding a helix and V thread profile) and with good results (this one is 5 threads of 13-SP415):
ThreadProfile_bottles.png
ThreadProfile_bottles.png (118.34 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: Using ThreadProfile workbench for bottle threads

Post by TheMarkster »

This one on thingiverse looks more like a buttress thread, but even that's not exactly right.
Snip macro screenshot-29b7d4.png
Snip macro screenshot-29b7d4.png (138.45 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:701895
Snip macro screenshot-22d31c.png
Snip macro screenshot-22d31c.png (102.13 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

TheMarkster wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:10 am This one on thingiverse looks more like a buttress thread, but even that's not exactly right.
Umm...my point wasn't that my example created anything usable, but that the resource of standard for bottle thread values was useful. :roll:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

drmacro wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:53 am Umm...my point wasn't that my example created anything usable, but that the resource of standard for bottle thread values was useful. :roll:
After researching this a bit more I see there are 2 types of profiles, "L" and "M". The L profile is similar to a v thread, but 30 degrees and a rather blunt tip. The M profile is a buttress type profile 45 degrees on one and 10 degrees on the other. The ThreadProfile Buttress profiles use 45/7 degrees.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

drmacro wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:53 am Umm...my point wasn't that my example created anything usable, but that the resource of standard for bottle thread values was useful. :roll:
I updated the workbench to add some support for bottle threads, the m style 45/10 buttress threads. You might have to flip the threadprofile object around depending on how you want the buttress threads oriented. The only sample I have to test against is the one I found on thingiverse. That one seems to be bang on, but I don't know about the other preset sizes.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21982 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 11419ecfafb4029e21fa9860b3d65bb5807bdf50
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Bulgarian/Bulgaria (bg_BG)
Attachments
tp.JPG
tp.JPG (31.01 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Thanks for the report. It looks like some changes to Draft workbench might be the issue. I'll update to the latest build and see if I can fix it.

Edit: I just pushed an update to version 1.63.