Geotechnical Work Addon

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Re: Geotechnical Work Addon

Post by HakanSeven12 »

bernd wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:17 pm is there a special reason why GeoDataWB with upper case chars and not such simple name as geoimport for all these kind of tools?
No. I will add gd to utm option to my point importer. So you can import all file formats that geodata support. Then I will remove that folder and only keep specific tools like osm or srtm.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bernd wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:17 pm is there a special reason why GeoDataWB with upper case chars and not such simple name as geoimport for all these kind of tools?
GeoDataWB was originally made by microelly2, so I guess Hakan and Joel just copied the directory as is. Most of the code here was written by microelly2, and wasn't entirely rewritten.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

it is not about the content of GeoDataWB. The content is fine. It is about the directory name. Why GeoDataWB? The name geoimport would fit much better since it would describe what modules are inside. Furthermore it would not have upper character. We still are in a early version where such rename is just possible since these tools from trails are not yet widly used. Once more people use it such change is much more difficault.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

runs smooth on Win Libpack version :)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22209 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 9c3f9b72a82249d5fcf1f543dd69a78740251b26
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Switzerland (de_CH)

screen.png
screen.png (46.11 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

bernd wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:23 pm it is not about the content of GeoDataWB. The content is fine. It is about the directory name. Why GeoDataWB? The name geoimport would fit much better since it would describe what modules are inside. Furthermore it would not have upper character. We still are in a early version where such rename is just possible since these tools from trails are not yet widly used. Once more people use it such change is much more difficault.
I have had the same thoughts - there is a need for some cleanup on microelly's geodata code base, mostly in the form of naming conventions. filenames should be snake-case (lowercase and underscores), as well as some structural / path changes. But I haven't really decided on what might be a good approach.

The issue, really, is that Trails (as I've developed it) is largely separate from microelly and Hakan's work... and it needs to be better reflected in the file structure, I think.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

totally agree!!!

another one I would (for importOSM I already did) change, because the modules are huge. Split import code from gui widget import code.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

@Joel_graff:

would you accept a PR which renames GeoDataWB to geoimport?
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Can you make a small piece of the OSM map and post it in a FCtd file, maybe something with elevation. If not is there a simple way I can view something like what what you show or is it all test stuff.

I want to try the elevation data on my SIM code
Thanks
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

bernd wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:22 pm @Joel_graff:

would you accept a PR which renames GeoDataWB to geoimport?
sure. I have no issues with that, so long as it doesn't break anything. Hakan may want to review it before accepting since he's more familiar with the code base.
ping
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

I agree with you