Fasteners not fitting

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
svobodat59

Fasteners not fitting

Post by svobodat59 »

Hello everyone,
I just started trying the Fasteners workbench. I printed several pairs on nut/bolt (M8 - M20) on my new Prusa mini and none of them fit each other.
Am I missing some important parameter?
Could the properties "match outer" and "offset" have something to do with this? (I did not find any explanation for them)

Thank you
Tomas
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Fasteners not fitting

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

That's not a problem of FreeCAD, it's a problem of the printer or the printing process in general. If you measure your nuts and bolts you find that they don't match the stl or obj which you exported. For validation you can re-import these files and check them.

To compensate you can load Fasteners workbench and then customize nuts and bolts in the preferences.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I never understood why print fasteners.
just print a hole and use inserts(https://www.pemnet.com/fastening-produc ... r-plastic/) and buy some fasteners
svobodat59

Post by svobodat59 »

The dimensions seem to be OK.
Rather it seems that the inner and outer thread are exactly the same and therefore have no clearance to allow them to enter each other. Is there any way in the Fasteners settings to influence this ?

BTW: Is this the correct forum for discussing the problems of an addon workbench?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

svobodat59 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:11 pm Is there any way in the Fasteners settings to influence this ?
How about reading the comments given here?
chrisb wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:05 am To compensate you can load Fasteners workbench and then customize nuts and bolts in the preferences.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
shaise

Post by shaise »

svobodat59 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:11 pm Is there any way in the Fasteners settings to influence this ?
Indeed there is, as chrisb mentioned already before: select the fastener workbench, goto Edit -> preferences. Select Fasteners on the left. In the fastener settings there is a "Tread generation" option. If you select "3D printer compatible", all fasteners will have a dimension compensation for 3d printing. The default parameters are a good start, but you might want to tweak them based on your printer and filament.
It is important to note that if you already generated some threads, they will not be affected by the new settings until you recompute them.

shai
svobodat59

Post by svobodat59 »

Thanks a lot SHAI ! Yes this is what I was looking for.
svobodat59

Post by svobodat59 »

Jee-Bee wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:12 pm I never understood why print fasteners.
just print a hole and use inserts(https://www.pemnet.com/fastening-produc ... r-plastic/) and buy some fasteners
Actually all I would use from the Fasteners menu is a threaded rod and a "screwtap" to cut its opposite. The rest of the detailed fasteners I don't need. I am speaking here about large plastic threads like M24, not something easy from the hardware store.