FreeCAD as teaching support for education.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jruiz

FreeCAD as teaching support for education.

Post by jruiz »

Some time ago I mentioned that FreeCAD, apart for being a program for CAx (x =D,E,M) It could be a CAS, S standing for science.
Well, IMHO, in these pandemic and post pandemic times, FreeCAD could be an excellent support for presenting lessons to students of Physics, Mathematics, Engeneering and related areas. So FreeCAD would be a program for CAx, and now there would be another E for x, standing for education.
I have uploaded some lessons on Physics and Mathematics tools in this respect, among them:
A Review on spherical coordinates (1/5)
A Review on spherical coordinates (2/5)
A Review on spherical coordinates (3/5)
A Review on spherical coordinates (4/5)
A Review on spherical coordinates (5/5)
Regards
Last edited by jruiz on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have uploaded many FreeCAD video tutorials to my YouTube channel
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD as teaching support for education.

Post by Kunda1 »

Neat! Can you tell us how you made this ?

Also have you seen the MOOC Workbench ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:07 pm Neat! Can you tell us how you made this ?
Of course.
After designing a screenplay for the lessons, created bodies for the needed objects in the appropriate order . Initially objects are hidden and show them as needed.
Kunda1 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:07 pm Also have you seen the MOOC Workbench ?
Not yet, but gonna take a look...
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Nothing wrong with using FreeCAD as a teaching tool, however, to teach mathematics and analytic geometry there are more suitable tools. FreeCAD is generally cumbersome for this purpose.

I'd suggest something like GeoGebra. It is much simpler to draw 2D and 3D parametric curves with a program like this.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I remember when I was taking materials science and we covered crystallography, I thought FreeCAD would be a neat tool for exploring concepts in that area, a little basic CSG modeling would go a lot farther than trying to visualize some concepts.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

vocx wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:59 pm to teach mathematics and analytic geometry there are more suitable tools.
I don't know GeoGebra and that may for others too be an important point. (Most) people here know FreeCAD and can use it right away. And it offers this nice 3D view, where where you can turn your artefacts and look at it from different positions. This helps avoiding to be fooled by the projection of 3D data to 2D.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

vocx wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:59 pm I'd suggest something like GeoGebra. It is much simpler to draw 2D and 3D parametric curves with a program like this.
Gonna take a look at GeoGebra.
Thank you.
Last edited by jruiz on Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

chrisb wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:50 am
vocx wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:59 pm to teach mathematics and analytic geometry there are more suitable tools.
...And it offers this nice 3D view, where where you can turn your artefacts and look at it from different positions. This helps avoiding to be fooled by the projection of 3D data to 2D.
Just this feature is what I like best of using FreeCAD for teaching.
In my experience, sometimes some projections of 3D data to 2D may be misunderstood.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I know this very well from screenshots I make for this forum. If I want to show a milling path it is often very easy to see where it is, if I can torn the object around. But it is sometimes near to impossible to find a decent camera position to make a screenshot showing the same.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.