[Feature request] (Sketcher Constraints) A single Dimension tool for all types

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sundz

[Feature request] (Sketcher Constraints) A single Dimension tool for all types

Post by sundz »

Hi has anyone been working on a feature to just have a single dimension tool for the most common ones Horizontal, Vertical, Diagonal, Circular and Angles?

If not would it be difficult to implement?
Attachments
freecaddim.jpg
freecaddim.jpg (3.62 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
Last edited by jmaustpc on Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added "(Sketcher Constraints)" to topic title
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] A single Dimension tool for all types

Post by chrisb »

sundz wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:18 pm Hi has anyone been working on a feature to just have a single dimension tool for the most common ones Horizontal, Vertical, Diagonal, Circular and Angles?
I don't think so and I don't want it. They do different things, easy to be seen on a diagonal line.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I think it would be great to have one. Before that i think the Dimensions should have a update. The Dimensions are quite sensitive what type user input is accepted.
The Horizontal dimension and vertical dimension are quite rigid.
  • select first a line and a dimension appear.
  • Select first a point you have to select another point
If it was possible to select 2 parallel lines* it is already a great start (what also mean first a line and then a point). Than it is easy to make a function that filters between the three functions (2 vertical lines == horizontal dimension/ 2 points + mouse direction decides what the user want.)

* With this way of working a extra click is required to finish (place) the dimension. but compared to every time i get a popup where i choose horizontal dimension and select a vertical line (both reason misclick of a point or because of that creo, NX and SW accept the previous described method ...).

Ps. For now you can use the diagonal arrow also for horizontal and vertical lines if you want too. This as long as there vertical or horizontal line need to be attached.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have moved to add horizontal and vertical distance constraints with the hotkeys, and I don't look back. I rarely use distance constraint, which may depend on the models I make.

Edit in blue.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

The constraints are out of scope i think. It is more about the dimensioning tool.
I try tonight add a small video what shows a NX example(i could do the same with Creo or SW but current project use NX so that's the most easy pick ;) )
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I am fully aware other software has other ways of presenting dimension tools.

But, I have yet to actually understand what is being proposed here and why it would make my work in FC easier, quicker, etc.

Clicking the icon for the type of constraint I desire and clicking two objects to apply it to seems pretty easy and straightforward to me.

Clicking two objects and clicking the type of constraint I desire between the two seems just as easy.

What am I missing? :roll:

There are specific reasons to have horizontal, vertical, and distance constraints. Why would I not want them all?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

sundz wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:18 pm Hi has anyone been working on a feature to just have a single dimension tool for the most common ones Horizontal, Vertical, Diagonal, Circular and Angles?
Just wanted to point out that you're definitely not alone in your request!
(click on the tiny up-arrow to the right of "wrote:")
Pauvres_honteux wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:48 am Hi, I have a wish of getting a constraints creation tool that consists/contains of all possible constraints commands avaible and starts running after double clicking a general constraints icon.
If I remember correctly, he who did most of the programming said he had it on his radar. But that was some years ago...
Good things is it's programed in C++ = fast execution.
Bad thing is it's programmed in C++ = stops anyone with only Python knowledge to progress this. And the vast majority in this fora seems to be Pythonistas.
But maybe some merciful soul can point out how to do programming for the sketcher in pure Python? I'm sure it would help with progress. When something is fully done it can be translated to C++ by a skilled C-wizard! We all want lightning fast code, right? MIT Fast code seminar
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

drmacro wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:20 am There are specific reasons to have horizontal, vertical, and distance constraints. Why would I not want them all?
Basically we have 3 constraints that do basically the same thing... The request is one(1) tool that handle ALL dimensions.
I hope after tonight the request is a bit more clear
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Jee-Bee wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:35 am The constraints are out of scope i think.
I have edited my post above, and still think that using the hot keys is even faster. Even if a line is horizontal you may for special reasons want to have a length constraint instead of horizontal distance - e.g. for animation purposes. So you would have to be offered both possibilities and you have to make a decision in some way.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Jee-Bee wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:03 pm
drmacro wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:20 am There are specific reasons to have horizontal, vertical, and distance constraints. Why would I not want them all?
Basically we have 3 constraints that do basically the same thing... The request is one(1) tool that handle ALL dimensions.
I hope after tonight the request is a bit more clear
How is vertical, horizontal and distance the same thing?

Horizontal constrains the horizontal distance between two objects.
Horizontal.webm
(409.3 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Vertical constrains the vertical distance between two objects.
Vertical.webm
(377.63 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Distance sets the distance between two objects.
Distance.webm
(563.77 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Please explain what I'm missing? :?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."