derivatives madness

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

derivatives madness

Post by Zolko »

FreeCAD as a cad2web Engine:
Mkhayami wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:57 pm I want to know how to deploy freeCAD on a server and then run python commands using Django to create or update freeCAD objects.
FreeCAD for making presentations:
jruiz wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:25 pm Wouldn't it be useful for this purpose that FreeCAD have the option (a Workbench o a macro) of "entering into a presentation mode"
A better IPython and Jupyter Notebook Integration for FreeCAD:
kryptokommunist wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:08 pm Tackling the open issue “IPython / Jupyter support” I aim to implement a IPython compatible visualization of FreeCAD’s 3D Open Inventor scene graph. To achieve this I intend to choose a suitable JavaScript library able to render a 3D scene graph and to implement a mapping between it and the Open Inventor scene graph
Shouldn't we concentrate on making FreeCAD better / good-enough for the normal use-case, and leave these exotic uses for later ? Or, if it really IS important, then choose 1 externalisation and do that right ? It seems to me that all these single-person wannabe launch-FreeCAD-from-the-Space-Shuttle-and-use-it-from-my-surfboard projects don't go anywhere and distract the main developers from really important and urgent tasks. Like finalising FreeCAD v0.19. It seems to me that "we" are loosing focus and run around like headless chicken it the search for another great useless feature.

I'd suggest to stick with the open-source mantra: "show me the code". If someone wants to contribute code, great, but if someone wants other people to write code for his pet fantasy then show him (or her) the door.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
vocx
Veteran

Re: derivatives madness

Post by vocx »

Zolko wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:24 am ...If someone wants to contribute code, great, but if someone wants other people to write code for his pet fantasy then show him (or her) the door.
But this is already how it works. There are many people who want features in FreeCAD, however, they are not programmers and thus their requests go unheard. Even if they are loud, they cannot push the software in any meaningful direction if they cannot write a line of code. So, if they want to see some real change, they should pick some Python tutorials and a book of C++ and start learning, it's the only way.

It's free software, anybody is free to try whatever they want; kryptokommunist is doing his work as part of his degree and Google Summer of Code, so he's free to do that, even for personal reasons.

There is no "finalizing" v0.19 because the entire program is a work in progress. The commit we pick for v0.19 is essentially arbitrary as long as there are no serious features that are broken.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

Zolko wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:24 am Shouldn't we concentrate on making FreeCAD better / good-enough for the normal use-case, and leave these exotic uses for later ? Or, if it really IS important, then choose 1 externalisation and do that right ? It seems to me that all these single-person wannabe launch-FreeCAD-from-the-Space-Shuttle-and-use-it-from-my-surfboard projects don't go anywhere and distract the main developers from really important and urgent tasks. Like finalising FreeCAD v0.19. It seems to me that "we" are loosing focus and run around like headless chicken it the search for another great useless feature.

I'd suggest to stick with the open-source mantra: "show me the code". If someone wants to contribute code, great, but if someone wants other people to write code for his pet fantasy then show him (or her) the door.
@Zoiko, you have the opportunity of NOT to read this message so you don't waste your time. (Continue at your own risk.)

Hopefully you won't expect your message to be the first and last one in this thread.
It is unfortunate that you put forward an idea in the way and style in which you did it, regardless of whether or not there is general consensus in favor of what you say.

Surely you may be right on some things you propose, but I strongly criticize your way of doing it. Especially because even if you don't realize it, there is a subjectivity margin in each of your statements and words (better, normal, exotic, later, ...).
Having said this, you would have to become the person to carry out the task of a prior censorship of the messages so that they do not become on waste of time to anyone.

If you want to read the ideas that you already have in your mind, you can only do so if you write them yourself, no other person could do it.

Everyone in any forum, including you, has the freedom to ignore the any posts they see, especially after reading a short title.

Unfortunately, on occasions, some other members of the forum have assumed similar positions to yours in this message.

As I see, there is a kind of natural selection to the posted ideas. Developers judge which of them will survive.
Regards
jruiz

PS.: Even though I feel I wasted my time when I answered your post, it was my decision.
I have uploaded many FreeCAD video tutorials to my YouTube channel
openfablab

Post by openfablab »

There is some problem with "normal use-case" definition. What is normal for one, can be abnormal for others.
Use cases looked for me normal year ago today look not so normal, and vice versa.

IMHO every feature request contains useful ideas for development and for workflows we can not imagine now. As a developer of many things (outside FreeCAD) I understand feelings which arise when everybody ask for a new features. But nobody is obliged to implement it, of course. And it does not contradict to honor and thankfulness to people who already did something.

I would wish to understand FreeCAD enough to implement my own ideas, but often can not find necessary information. Some people would even pay for their ideas implementation, but - as in other open projects - there are very few active developers and they look already overloaded, while side programmers need to spend a lot of time to dive into FreeCAD system.

May be more detailed documentation about "coding new features for FreeCAD" could help. It could allow general programmers (or their employers) to easily involve into FreeCAD upgrade and allow implementation of new or upgrade of old functionality without overloading existing developers.