3DConnexion SpaceMouse - pressing ANY button dramatically zooms out and rotates the view

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mike

Re: 3DConnexion SpaceMouse - pressing ANY button dramatically zooms out and rotates the view

Post by mike »

wmayer wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:44 am Further up you confirmed that the Enterprise model is properly supported by Blender. But Blender doesn't use the 3Dconnexion driver either but it uses this library: https://github.com/Modaptix/ghost
When studying the code a bit it doesn't do anything very special for the Enterprise model so i wonder does it really work so well.
Let me pick up the question:
Blender "supports" the Enterprise model in the same basic way like FreeCAD will do soon.
That means: the NavCap works and one can assign (and use) keyboard shortcuts in the driver. That's all. No "smart" context switching and no support for save/restore view either.

(The only difference is that it doesn't do "weird" stuff on a button press :D - but you already fixed that in your spacemouse branch.)
wmayer
Founder

Re: 3DConnexion SpaceMouse - pressing ANY button dramatically zooms out and rotates the view

Post by wmayer »

(The only difference is that it doesn't do "weird" stuff on a button press :D - but you already fixed that in your spacemouse branch.)
Thanks for the clarification.
RainmanNoodles

Post by RainmanNoodles »

mike wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:12 pm
wmayer wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:44 am Further up you confirmed that the Enterprise model is properly supported by Blender. But Blender doesn't use the 3Dconnexion driver either but it uses this library: https://github.com/Modaptix/ghost
When studying the code a bit it doesn't do anything very special for the Enterprise model so i wonder does it really work so well.
Let me pick up the question:
Blender "supports" the Enterprise model in the same basic way like FreeCAD will do soon.
That means: the NavCap works and one can assign (and use) keyboard shortcuts in the driver. That's all. No "smart" context switching and no support for save/restore view either.

For about half of the functionality this is "sufficient" (and once I can at least assign some buttons to common functions I'd consider it a big improvement, and probably start using FreeCAD for some of my personal projects where speed isn't as critical).

But long term there are a lot of things that would work better with the official driver. We've already covered some of them, but I haven't heard anyone talk about the fact that 3Dconnexion also makes a mouse (or rather several), and that you can configure the function buttons on the mouse to also interact with the 3D mouse driver. There's no way anyone's going to reimplement that all manually in FreeCAD, let alone for every possible model they put out.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

mike wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:59 pm Yes, i found it yesterday. I have actually never noticed it before - i guess i overestimated the demand... :)
That's a global list and shared between all views (seems to be intended). Perhaps it's just me, but i would rather like to have a separate list for each open file/view. Anyway - it's a different topic.
With git commit 5f7df94ea1 there are now two commands Std_ViewSaveCamera & Std_ViewRestoreCamera to save/restore camera settings per view.