Sverchok and FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MisterMaker

Re: Sverchok and FreeCAD

Post by MisterMaker »

That video is nice!
You can btw click on the little plug icon on the node to get the file node.
I by coincident asked yesterday if Rastart was having issues with my latest feedback.
And he looked into it like 2 hours ago :)
Current issue is that it doesn't read "linked parts" and so it doesn't work on most assemblies, even imported step files seem to have linked parts so it breaks on that point too.
Good thing is @Rastart is freaking awesome and already found out it's not so hard to fix, now there is only some debate on how to implement it.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

MisterMaker wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:36 pm That video is nice!
You can btw click on the little plug icon on the node to get the file node.
I by coincident asked yesterday if Rastart was having issues with my latest feedback.
And he looked into it like 2 hours ago :)
Current issue is that it doesn't read "linked parts" and so it doesn't work on most assemblies, even imported step files seem to have linked parts so it breaks on that point too.
Good thing is @Rastart is freaking awesome and already found out it's not so hard to fix, now there is only some debate on how to implement it.
Can the Mesh viewer node read the name from the Read FCStd node yet?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

@drmacro I feel like we should first getting it work with assemblies before trying to do that, but as things are going this can be soon :)
Edit, ok I missed the obvious, you can set collection in the mesh node to order the blend file don't need any extra nodes.
Edit2: example on how to add meshes to collections:
https://i.imgur.com/5scbgja.jpeg
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

MisterMaker wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:41 pm @drmacro I feel like we should first getting it work with assemblies before trying to do that, but as things are going this can be soon :)
Edit, ok I missed the obvious, you can set collection in the mesh node to order the blend file don't need any extra nodes.
Edit2: example on how to add meshes to collections:
https://i.imgur.com/5scbgja.jpeg
I know the name of the mesh can be set in the Meshview node. But it can't get the name from the Read FCStd node, where it has been selected already. I would typically want the mesh na e to match that of the selected solid in the Read FCStd node.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

OK here is an idea, although there are more than idea's here than people to make them XD

If we make a Freecad addon that places a .blend file in the same directory as the Freecad file.
It Blend file has a sverchok Node tree populated that filters on specific keywords in the label2 field.
It would be ideal to set the link to the Freecad file too but maybe something in the future.
Workflow would be:
  • Add material name to label2
    Press "Too Blender" button.
    Blender opens up with the freecad file loaded in Blender with materials added.
    You can then press render and have a render or just do more work in Blender.
    I am definitely going to make that Templace file, not sure how difficult the "Freecad button" would be.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

OK here is an idea, although there are more than idea's here than people to make them XD

If we make a Freecad addon that places a .blend file in the same directory as the Freecad file.
It Blend file has a sverchok Node tree populated that filters on specific keywords in the label2 field.
It would be ideal to set the link to the Freecad file too but maybe something in the future.
Workflow would be:
-Add material name to label2
-Press "Too Blender" button.
-Blender opens up with the Freecad file loaded in Blender with materials added automatically.
-You can then press render and have a render or just do more work in Blender.

I am definitely going to make that Template file, not sure how difficult the "Freecad button" would be.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

It would be cool if this is possible within FC:

phpBB [video]
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Generative design is more part of the FEM workbench, as most of these designs are just the results of a FEM calculation converted to a solid model.