IGES output for tube laser cutting

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Pablo Ramirez Diaque

IGES output for tube laser cutting

Post by Pablo Ramirez Diaque »

Hi, I need to feed a chinese fiber laser tube cutting machine with IGES files. Looks like the machine only accepts IGES files exported from Solidworks. I would like to use FreeCAD. The first difference in the file is the extension (Need .igs, not .iges) I've tried changing the file extension in notepad and with that it is now visible in the browser of the CAM but no success when trying to open it.
The chinese system is becoming very popular because it is cheap and it is the CAM and the GUI of the machine itself. Its name is CYPTUBE.
There is not enough information in the manuals about the IGES characteristics, but in a test I made with solidwors I used the export options in the image attached and the file opens ok with Cyptube.

Some things I've tried not successfully:
-Brep option off at import/export preferences, Freecad
-3D file converters such as CADexchanger and ABViewer.

Is there any advice from someone that has passed through this?
Or is there any possibilitiy to change the code for IGES output? (someone who can do this and what would be the cost?)
Attachments
image.png
image.png (84.24 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
mapeze

Re: IGES output for tube laser cutting

Post by mapeze »

Hello,
Maybe you can create the most simple geometry possible in both FreeCad and SolidWorks and compare the exported IGS with a text editor, And then you can maybe find a simple hack to edit the FreeCad IGS...
Pablo Ramirez Diaque

Post by Pablo Ramirez Diaque »

Hi Mapeze, thanks for your reply.
Following your advice I did a hollow cilinder same geometry and orientation in both programs. Both IGES files have a very similar arrangement but the data is far different between them. With my ignorance I don't see a logical way to hack the data.
Attachments
test SW.IGS
(58.3 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
test FC.iges
(12.81 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
test FC.FCStd
(7.58 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

the SW have a equal structure copared with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGES
Don't know id wikipedia give the whole story...
mapeze

Post by mapeze »

Another idea:

When importing, it seems important to define the length axis of the tube (I read it from an Autodesk forum). The axis of the tube in both IGS files you attached are different.