Normal Crashing?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cybercrypt13

Normal Crashing?

Post by cybercrypt13 »

I'm running the .18 version of the software which I'd assume is the stable version and running on a macbook pro. I'm drawing a very simple part shaped like a Z that will be extruded 5" and have 2 holes in it. So far I've had to start the model over twice because freecad crashed for no apparent reason.

I drew the sides and was trying to add labels to give everything sizes. The first time as I was adding lengths the model broke apart and looked odd, when I pressed cmd Z to undo the last changes it crashed. The second time I was repeating the action and I added horizontal sizes and clicked on vertical to start them but when I clicked on a line it said I must select 1 line or 2 points even though I had selected a line and it was still highlighted.

I then pressed Esc to try again and it crashed again.

I just stated using the program last night as I wanted to see if I could use it for some of my projects but so far it has crashed no less than 10 times in just 3 hours of playing around with it. And they all seemed to be pretty basic things going on when it did. I can't imagine if I had a complex drawing and this happened. Could waste hours of my time.

Thanks,

Glenn
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Normal Crashing?

Post by Kunda1 »

Update to v0.19 and try to reproduce. Most likely it's fixed. No more backports will be done to 0.18 so you might as well update like the rest of us have
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

cybercrypt13 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:35 pm when I clicked on a line it said I must select 1 line or 2 points even though I had selected a line and it was still highlighted.
This often means that something in addition to the "selected" line is also selected. The warning message is the same whether there are too many or not enough features selected.

It might be helpful to attach an FCStd file to your post. Often the responders on this forum can pinpoint a problem almost instantly if there is a file to examine.

Gene
cybercrypt13

Post by cybercrypt13 »

Thanks, I'll get the download going now and will try again after it finishes.

Glenn
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

cybercrypt13 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:35 pm I just stated using the program last night as I wanted to see if I could use it for some of my projects but so far it has crashed no less than 10 times in just 3 hours of playing around with it. And they all seemed to be pretty basic things going on when it did. I can't imagine if I had a complex drawing and this happened. Could waste hours of my time.
The 0.18 version for MacOS crashed quite frequently here too, and this was vastly improved in 0.19. There are some crashes which I cannot reliably reproduce with undo and then redo in sketcher.
I have set in Preferences->General->Document to check for AutoRecovery files and to save AutoRecovery files every 2 minutes, so that's the maximum I loose (plus a bit of time to see where to restart).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
cybercrypt13

Post by cybercrypt13 »

Yes, that did it. Much more stable now. All of the issues I was having seem to be gone. I've been using Shapr3D for most of my 3D printing but it has some frustrating aspects to it so have been looking for something else to try. This coupled with me being able to run it in Linux has me excited. Hopefully the Linux version doesn't crash often because I'll likely be swapping everything over.

BTW: Has anyone ran this on a Raspberry pi 4? Is it usable there?

Glenn
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »