FreeCAD modern look script

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD modern look script

Post by Kunda1 »

It's all good ;)
Moving on... :D
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:16 pm I'm asking that this be available as a FreeCAD theme (just like chrismettal's behave dark theme that was merged recently).
This is not a style sheet.
This is a macro that overwrites the .cfg file.
I would suggest that the macro first saves the existing .cfg as a backup.
Otherwise the user must reset and then will loose all other preferences that had been previously set.
"fight the good fight"
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

The readme file should mention this fact that the user should make a manual copy of the cfg file.

Is it possible to make the repository officially available in the Add-On Manager?
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

RedBaron wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:39 am Is it possible to make the repository officially available in the Add-On Manager?
I think that the AddonManager is already cluttered with tons of modules, therefore adding a script that changes colours ... doesn't this belong to the category "bikeshedding" ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Zolko wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:46 am
@Zolko
I agree with you there. But how else can such a script or macro be published for the average user?

By the comments here the benefit for some users is given. With the time "it disappears in the depths" of the forum and few people know about it.

But this topic is now becoming too off-topic.
Last edited by RedBaron on Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

RedBaron wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:13 am I agree with you there. But how else can such a script or macro be published for the average user?
the first question is: should a script that changes colours and overrides the user's config file without backup be made available for the average user ?
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

OK, a valid argument.
But this misses too much
the actual topic script to change the user interface.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

RedBaron wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:16 pm But this misses too much the actual topic script to change the user interface.
what I wanted to say is that a script that writes into the user config file is inacceptable.

watsug wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:19 am I'd love for an easier way to change, save and share user configs, so that the user can be presented with different presets and choose the one that suits them.
this is the proper way to solve this problem : let the user load and save config files.
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Zolko wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:28 pm this is the proper way to solve this problem : let the user load and save config files.
I agree with you, therefore 2 questions:
- What could a solution look like?
- Should we ask a moderator to separate the contributions into a separate topic?
dulouie

Post by dulouie »

The macro is os independent and not a theme or stylesheet, it simply changes many user parameters.
I find exchanging userconfigs really cumbersome, because all parameters must always be taken over here. The macro is designed to keep the existing settings of the user and to add to them. There are many people who care about the look and not just the function, are only functional things allowed in the addonmanager? I would like my macro to be available via addon manager, so many more people would be able to use my settings very easily.
The cleanest way would be a theme manager to which the macro can be extended.
And the thing with the missing backup is a disadvantage, but I have already fixed it.