Realthunders work

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Realthunders work

Post by Kunda1 »

In the mean time, a practical endeavor to help get Realthunder's work merged is to do several things:
  • Help Realthunder out by testing and confirming bugs and supporting him financially if you can.
  • Help FreeCAD team test and confirm bugs in our bugtracker and also consider a contribution to our active devs: Donate
  • Help us write documentation, improve our code documentation and onboarding developers (we need help with clear and succinct technical documentation
  • Help us improve our infrastructure (wiki, forum, Continuous Integration, dev-ops)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
IPowIPi

Post by IPowIPi »

Good point! Would be great (and probably helpful) if some core devs who want that could make a living of it! Doesn't have to be much per person, a little times many could be a good start to something!
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:36 pm ...learn FreeCAD, quirks and all...
So much this! FreeCAD has resulted in dramatic improvements to my modeling technique. Most likely exactly because of it's quirks. I for one am grateful for sticking with it, and don't ever feel the need to go back to my previous CAD software.
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:36 pm I did not state my concern very well.

The problem is not the complaining, but rather the very common corollary that FreeCAD is not perfect and therefore is not suitable for use. That was certainly the theme of the referenced video and many of the comments.

My message is learn FreeCAD, quirks and all. Use it. The doubters might be surprised at what can be accomplished.

Gene
Looking past the complaints, reality however is also that based on what you need to model FreeCad can deliver, requires you to use workarounds, or cannot model it.

This is not a judgement - just a factual assessment.

Just a simple French press showed at numerous situations limitations in sketching and modeling ability and stability.

If what you need to model fits into the real of freecad cad tools it is a pretty fantastic and competent work platform.

That’s is why I am pretty amazed by RTs work. His Sketcher improvements are significant.

I am actually curious if his work could also touch modeling tools like bringing G1 blend capabilities to part design loft for example.

This lack of a blend ability is for me close to a show stopper in some cases.

Kunda I am curious what your folks view on the following is :

I would be more than happy to test RTs build more.
My main hesitation would be is it worth testing if the work won’t make it into master.

This is just a general question - I understand the software development is very complex.
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
Interior - Industrial Design
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Cekuhnen wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:58 pm I would be more than happy to test RTs build more.
My main hesitation would be is it worth testing if the work won’t make it into master.

This is just a general question - I understand the software development is very complex.
Hesitation doesn't bring free software forward. If you wait until it is clear that the work should be integrated, then your testing will no longer be needed. If it is clear, that it will not be integrated, then your testing will not be needed anyway.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

ChrisB it is not that I am hesitant - it was more a question if where would what testing help most.

The only aspect that honestly concerns me is the file compatibility between master and RTs build.

Too bad that work done in RT might not always transfer right to master.
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
Interior - Industrial Design
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Cekuhnen wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:01 pm Too bad that work done in RT might not always transfer right to master.
FreeCAD cannot do anything about that. This has to be handled in the branch.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:09 pm FreeCAD cannot do anything about that. This has to be handled in the branch.
It takes two to tango...
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

bambuko wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:25 pm It takes two to tango...
+1
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bambuko wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:25 pm It takes two to tango...
This sounds very reasonable and I was a bit short in my quote. In general the master cannot respect all different file formats that are created by forks; in the same way as the master doesn't respect the file formats of arbitrary other applications.
I admit though, that the realthunder branch is special, because everybody I know wants the toponaming improvements. But it still is not the duty of the master version to be compatible with all the changes in the file format, because as far as I can see, there is everything in the branch and in the file format, and not only the desired changes - which are already a huge amount of code.