Realthunders work

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
saso
Veteran

Re: Realthunders work

Post by saso »

this community is unfortunately mostly like...

simple_answers.jpg
simple_answers.jpg (22.06 KiB) Viewed 1561 times

and asking realthunder for a new feature is unfortunately mostly like...

what I would like

knife.jpg
knife.jpg (36.34 KiB) Viewed 1561 times

what I get

swiss.jpg
swiss.jpg (73.81 KiB) Viewed 1561 times

and following the logic of the first image, many users would say "hey but this is sooooo much better"... no it is not
Last edited by saso on Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Thanks, Abdullah, excellent write-up.

Since I have a little time on this "Thanksgiving day" in the states I thought I would continue on with an analogy using housing. Lets say I live in a normal house that's built well and is in good working order but it's kind of small and simple but I have plans to expand it. And then, someone offers me a free house, much more modern with new appliances and more rooms, a fine home except there is one problem, it has a marginal foundation, Oh, what to do.... :)
There are two solutions (1) continue working on my house to make it what I want or (2) move to the new house and start working on the foundation.
I hope this was thoughtful and amusing because I'm chuckling and it's a holiday.....

I'm sure you understand, which path is shorter/easier and how much risk is there? I certainly don't know.
The above assumes realthunders code is close to what the developers are after.

I had to reverse engineer code (much like a commit) in my past and it's hard trying to get a mind-set around the wording and the process used by the original programmer. That is painful work and it seems easier just to rewrite the code yourself, and of coarse this happens many times on projects. I think one positive twist for realthunders one man code, once you get used to his words it might be easier to understand.

Unfortunately I think Std-FreeCAD is at a point where the, I will call it low hanging fruit is complete. The rest of the development could be very difficult indeed, where even a small problem could take a lot of very complicated code. Realthunder has been at his desk along time.

Thanks
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

hum ... you can't be serious about all this ... I have to think about the implications of these thoughts ...
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I'm really enjoying the 'weight' of abdullah's words. What he wrote needed to be said because we've been a little in the dark as a community in regards to the nuances of the code reviewing process. I think I'll just sit and process this some more before I comment further. One thing I will say if I may is that I am very thankful for the way that was conveyed, @abdullah. Thank you for being here and having the patience to explain that.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I will be the first to admit. I'm no good at python at the level required here. I wrote a macro by copying code mostly. I can do some modeling in the Help group. I'm not much help but I always try to think outside the box.

If we had a crystal ball and we could see two years from now. If we guess that it takes 5000 man-hours to get Std FreeCAD to the FreeCADLink level or it takes 5000 man-hours to modify the current FreeCADLink to the way the developers want, is there some advantage (maybe luck) that one approach is better. Could FreeCADLink be released soon, maybe yes, but I don't really care about that, I just like having all the info and ideas there for Werner level developers. I think these ideas are pertinent and worth writing/reading or I wouldn't bother. Sometimes they sound a little crazy.
Could one approach reduce the PR work?
Thanks
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Magnificent sum-up Abdullah, thanks for writing. And I feel culprit here too because I ranted when I could have simply helped reviewing PRs ;) I'll also take one to do next week. Yeah, a the end of the day I also think we all agree and we all try to get there...

Having Realthunder's work in a branch of the FreeCAD Git repo would not be really different than what we have now, I believe... You can perfectly well add a branch from a different remote repo in your local repo, I have several here myself.. And the problem is not so much that RT's work is on a different repo, it's that in both cases the difference between his branch and the FreeCAD master are huge, and certainly rebasing between the two is far from simple.

BTW there are currently 11 open PRs by Realthunder. That's not that much... https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pulls/realthunder
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

chrisb, is there anything that I can do to help modify the billboard? Who is in charge of mantaining?
Thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freedman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:13 pm chrisb, is there anything that I can do to help modify the billboard? Who is in charge of mantaining?
I think it is kkremitzki.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Sorry, billboard? What are you referring to?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Billboard, I always thought that was a name describing the entire online forum, that might be kind of dated. Here is the post that describes what I was thinking.
I think this is actually my target for this post, even though I didn't have a total plan. FreeCADLink is an unknown item and needs to be tested. The forum is where we get feedback but there is no place to give that feedback currently. A new major heading in the forum "FreeCADLink (Experimental)", and a few sub sections for help and requests could solve this unknown. Even if we only keep it in the main section for a few months, I think this would answer the question. Right now on the forum if I go into "Assembly" and find "Assembly 3 preview" there is 1764 replies, all inline. I can't learn anything from a post like that.

I think this is what would need to occur:
1) Add a specific section to the forum with sub topics.
2) Have some kind of standard release page and a new release section. This way we can all download the same release for testing and realthunder can update the new release section as necessary.
I guess first off, is it easy to do or is it something that is not recommended because of the forum software.
I can start a index tree naming list and let the group chew on it for a while.