new behaviors to speed up the efficiency in sketcher

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Piero69

new behaviors to speed up the efficiency in sketcher

Post by Piero69 »

i would suggest an enhancement in sketcher behavior so i call primarily @Abdullah but all the other moderators too and you all

in case of a dimensional constraint i feel useful a new behavior as follow:

1) an automatic switch into driven when the dimension constraint isn't necessary instead of eliminate it (often additional dimensions is useful to check the design from another point of view).

2) ability to switch a reference dimension into driven (and reverse) by a right click menu on entity instead of running around the toolbar every time

this new behaviors speed up the efficiency i think
chrisb
Veteran

Re: new behaviors to speed up the efficiency in sketcher

Post by chrisb »

1) On create of such a dimension you can check the Reference box.
2) Not my personal favourite, for me it takes more time to open and navigate in a popup menue.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

chrisb wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:10 pm 1) On create of such a dimension you can check the Reference box.
2) Not my personal favourite, for me it takes more time to open and navigate in a popup menue.
I agree that it should not automatically create a reference dimension.
But I think it would be a nice ergonomics if the dimension dialog looked like this
redundant_constraint.png
redundant_constraint.png (33.06 KiB) Viewed 770 times
I don't know how complicated it is to implement.
Piero69

Post by Piero69 »

chrisb wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:10 pm
1) On create of such a dimension you can check the Reference box.
@chrisb,
for point 1, it's just to prevent further "clicks" like you say. Sofware detects a redundant constraint and should aumatically switch it instaed of going in error

for point 2, currently there is no option when selecting a dimensional constraint with mouse... just a right click to switch ref/driven and you keep concentrated in your design.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Why is this any more efficient than double click on the dimension and clicking a check box? :?:

IMO, (which obviously may differ from that of many :lol: ) The real efficiency issue is the work flow involved. People make this conclusion when attempting to shoe horn their workflow from other tools rather than learning the most efficient workflow of the software they are attempting to learn. (typically, assuming, the way the "other" did it is the only efficient way it can be done.)
  • turn off auto constraints
  • use polyline, taking advantage of the M key behaviors
  • use primitive geometry where applicable (squares, circles etc.)
  • draw lines across shapes and use trim tool to trim appropriately
  • (trim tool automatically adds coincident constraints...time saver))
  • Once the basic shape is complete, confirm all appropriate coincident vertexes are constrained
  • Then add geometrical constraints as required
  • Lastly add dimensional constraints
Much faster than:
  • add line
  • constrain line
  • add arc
  • constrain arc
Again, my opinion. :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

davidosterberg wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:31 pm But I think it would be a nice ergonomics if the dimension dialog looked like this
That's only a minor improvement over the current solution, you should keep an eye on the solver messages anyway. I could imagine though to allow adding dimensional constarints even if they cause overconstraints, because it could well be possible, that the one added is better, and some other constraint should be deleted.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

chrisb wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:31 pm That's only a minor improvement over the current solution, you should keep an eye on the solver messages anyway. I could imagine though to allow adding dimensional constraints even if they cause overconstraints, because it could well be possible, that the one added is better, and some other constraint should be deleted.
Agreed, it is only ergonomics saves you some clicks and some surprise, but nothing fundamentally new.