Ticket #3670 - Thickness operation for part fails (upstream OCC bug)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cjones6108

Ticket #3670 - Thickness operation for part fails (upstream OCC bug)

Post by cjones6108 »

Got another one of these -- Just so you're aware how I happen upon this situation, I'm trying to work up to doing some development work on FreeCAD. I've gotten a Git repository set up locally and I can get a clean compile of FC, so the next logical step is to try tackling some bugs. So I'm looking at old confirmed bugs that are not assigned to anyone. #3670 has to do with the Thickness function in Part or Part Design. I was unable to look at the attached drawing file as it appears to be empty or perhaps has been removed. Like the last bug I looked at (#3536), I am unable to reproduce the behavior on my machines.

It was originally reported under FC v0.17, and I downloaded that version; I also have versions 0.18 and 0.19. Both my workstations are Win 10 machines. Here are some particulars on all of that:

So bottom line, I could reproduce the behavior in no version of FreeCAD on workstations running Win 10. The thickness function appears to operate correctly.
Last edited by Kunda1 on Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Added ticket number and ticket name to thread title

-----
caj
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Mantis Bug #0003670

Post by kisolre »

Images are not visible here.
cjones6108

Post by cjones6108 »

Yeah, working on that...

-----
caj
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

That's awesome news. Thanks for setting up dev environment compiling FC successfully and digging through the trenches of the bug tracker. :D
We're not exactly sure what happened but some attachments within bug reports or somehow lost or corrupted. She's quite annoying because it defeats the purpose of a bug tracker to a certain extent. Do you mind adding your about info ? So we have a sense of what revision of version 019 you're using and what dependencies it was compiled with
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
cjones6108

Post by cjones6108 »

About info should be visible now.

-----
caj
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We like to see the about in text form, because it bears additional information about libraries used; furthermore it needs less band width, and, well, we are used to it.

I would not recommend to start with something concerning thickness, because most issues are caused by the third party geometric kernel from OCC, over which FreeCAD has no control. For that reason, and because there is neither an example, nor a forum discussion, I have closed the ticket.
Furthermore I would recommend to tackle a ticket which went through the required process, which means that there exists a forum discussion, which may give some hints about a solution, and - very important - you can see whom to contact for help.

In Kunda's signature is a link to low hanging fruits, that's probably a better start point. @Kunda: is this list well maintained?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:37 am In Kunda's signature is a link to low hanging fruits, that's probably a better start point. @Kunda: is this list well maintained?
uhm....so so...I should revisit this to make sure. I will do it soon, not at this moment though. Thanks for the reminder ;)
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

File is lost, and it was as Normand guessed most probably an OCC issue anyway.
Here it is:
case.fcstd
(199.1 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
But as said by the others it's an OCC issue and thus nothing we could easily fix.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

wmayer wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:54 am
File is lost, and it was as Normand guessed most probably an OCC issue anyway.
Here it is: case.fcstd

But as said by the others it's an OCC issue and thus nothing we could easily fix.
Wow, how did you find it wmayer?
Should we continue to track it this in our tracker, since this is what we do with OCC bugs -> https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20264
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Wow, how did you find it wmayer?
I had it on my local hard disk.
Should we continue to track it this in our tracker, since this is what we do with OCC bugs
You can add it to the list of known OCC bugs.