FreeCAD for 2D drawing

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jtm2020hyo

FreeCAD for 2D drawing

Post by jtm2020hyo »

I was trying to replace AutoCAD for FreeCAD, but the last message in Discord group give me doubts about if possible create 2D drawings in FreeCAD

anyone can confirm if FreeCAD is not for 2D? and if not, any suggestions?
Zolko
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD for 2D drawing

Post by Zolko »

jtm2020hyo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:53 am I was trying to replace AutoCAD for FreeCAD, but the last message in Discord group give me doubts about if possible create 2D drawings in FreeCAD
anyone can confirm if FreeCAD is not for 2D? and if not, any suggestions?
Actually, this is a very good question, an I had the same need: unfortunately, out of the box, FreeCAD is not very good at making 2D drawings. You have first to create 3D drawings and then import them into TechDraw which makes very good 2D drawings out of 3D objects. You can trick FreeCAD to do very good 2D drawings, by making 2D sketeches in 3D and importing them into TechDraw.

Today, when doing simple 2D drawings, I use LibreOffice Draw, which is the best 2D drawing program I found. But it's not as capable as FreeCAD's sketcher (no constraints !). I also know many other people who would need a simple and good 2D drawing program.

For all these reasns, I wanted to propose to make it possible/easy to directly combine Sketcher and TechDraw, but I was waiting for FreeCAD v0.19 to be out, in order to not add new reasons to delay this important milestone.

So, for the time beeing, you're out of luck: FreeCAD is not good for 2D. This will hopefully improve with v0.20
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
C_h_o_p_i_n

Post by C_h_o_p_i_n »

Hi,

I'm sill wondering, why Sketcher does not allow some layers (e.g.for documentation) and an dxf export.

While wandererfan did a impresing job - converting 3d objects into a technical drawing - its not easy to understand, why sketches can't be "converted" or be used as a technical drawing too.

regards,
Stefan
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

C_h_o_p_i_n wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:11 am why sketches can't be "converted" or be used as a technical drawing too.
they can, but they must be drawn in 3D first. I've actually done that: create an App::Part, create a sketch representing an A4 paper on XY plane, and then draw various sketches (on the same XY plane), and then create a TechDraw and import the App::Part (containing all the sketches).

Works, but not very user friendly. And you migh need to check some option for a drawing to import wires, don't remember. Hopefully wondererfan will be back soon to be able to implement that sketches be drawn directly on paper.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Well, Draft module should be aimed at 2d drafting... If the drawing Is not too complex in my opinion it's pretty decent.
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

I was trying to test AutoCAD Blocks in FreeCAD:

Code: Select all

I think FreeCAD should create a Group per each block or maybe need emulate the "base insertion" adding a point in creating dimensions, is an idea.
EDIT": FreeCAD already creates a "shape" and is already not need others.
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

something that really needs FreeCAD is a selection option, a 2D software like AutoCAD or LibreCAD can do this with layers, I did not find many selection options, maybe FreeCAD could imitate Blender selection tools.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Zolko wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:09 pm
C_h_o_p_i_n wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:11 am why sketches can't be "converted" or be used as a technical drawing too.
they can, but they must be drawn in 3D first.
What are you talking about? I can create a sketch, create a TechDraw page and add the sketch to the page which will show exactly the sketch on it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:56 pm
Zolko wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:09 pm
they can, but they must be drawn in 3D first.
What are you talking about? I can create a sketch, create a TechDraw page and add the sketch to the page which will show exactly the sketch on it.
And you can do it directly from within TechDraw ? And you can edit the Sketch in TechDraw, without activating the 3D view ? That's great, how do you do this ? When I try it, modifying the sketch always activates the 3D view.

carlopav wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:41 pm Well, Draft module should be aimed at 2d drafting... If the drawing Is not too complex in my opinion it's pretty decent.
There don't seem to be the sketcher's powerful and intuitive tools (constraints, trim, drag ...). And it's 3D also, not paper (or I didn't find it)
C_h_o_p_i_n

Post by C_h_o_p_i_n »

Same here like Zolko described.

also I'd like to have - in a configurable way - not only just the sketch but any aditional Info like angular constraints, diameters, dimensions and so on.
It does not realy make sense that you have to re-do any dimensions using TD while you've done all this work this already in sketcher.

Also - there is - in my opinion - nothing why sketcher should be limited to be a tool to feed PD-WB or P-WB

Please do not feel offended - every Programmer working on FC does a real good job - these are just my thoughts.

Regards,
Stefan